My Fabia locks and unlocks randomly

Kharl

My car, has some issues but in this post i will group two of them that could be related, the lock system and the rear door/gate

the rear door gate only can be opened from the manual handle inside, no matter if the car is unlocked or in the first 15 minutes of the battery being connected, i will explain that  in a moment

Now with the lock system...

if left it alone locked, one day a week at night it unlock itself and turn down the windows

if left unlocked, two or three times in a day he locks or unlock itselfe

(it does it more often if it is unlocked)

Once in the car with engine on, no matter if you lock or unlock he will unlock or unlock one or couple of times in a single trip OR one time with multiple locks and unlocks consecutively.

AND the problem get terribly worse if i unlock the car form the exterior from the driver´s door, i keep the beast calm by locking or unlocking the car with the key FROM the passenger´s door.

if i unlock the car from outside using the driver´s door, i can never lock it back again with the LED blinking,, i mean if i accidentally unlock it by the driver´s door, i could lock it back again once i leave the car, but the LED on the door will not blink

to "reset" the locking system i disconnect the battery for some minutes and then connect it back and then the lock system works well as long i don't use the drivers door for unlocking or locking from the exterior

AT THIS MOMENT that i have reconnected the battery, the rear gate CAN NOW be opened from the exterior, the handle(the exterior button) works fine, flawlessly, but after several minutes it will not work until i disconnect and reconnect the battery

The lock unit inside the drivers door is notorious for failing with faulty microswitches or bad solder joints.  Also check for broken wires inside the rubber door trunking, which is extremely common.

1JZZXgM.png

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

The lock unit inside the drivers door is notorious for failing with faulty microswitches or bad solder joints.  Also check for broken wires inside the rubber door trunking, which is extremely common.

1JZZXgM.png

Is the lock unit INSIDE the driver´s door?

Do i have to remove the metal panel where the window regulator is, or only the plastic board?

regarding the trunk, i will check for broken wires but i don´t think, because if i disconnect and connect the battery then it works perfectly (the trunk)

( i am making my list to check for tomorrow lol)

7 minutes ago, Kharl said:

Is the lock unit INSIDE the driver´s door?

Do i have to remove the metal panel where the window regulator is, or only the plastic board?

Yes it's inside the door and the metal panel has to be removed.

regarding the trunk, i will check for broken wires but i don´t think, because if i disconnect and connect the battery then it works perfectly (the trunk)

Not the trunk, I mean the wires inside the rubber bellows (trunking) between the body and drivers door.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

Just now, Kharl said:

:worried:, its so awkward to remove that, because i have to remove the glass

I posted a video for you. I think he takes the glass out in the video but you don't have to remove it, you just tape it to the top of the door.

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

I posted a video for you. I think he takes the glass out in the video but you don't have to remove it, you just tape it to the top of the door.

ohhh, thank you very much! i will try that tomorow morning!

1 minute ago, Kharl said:

ohhh, thank you very much! i will try that tomorow morning!

No problem. Check the door wires inside the rubber bellows before you do anything else. Look carefully as the wire can even break inside the plastic insulation.

Just now, TMB said:

No problem. Check the door wires inside the rubber bellows before you do anything else. Look carefully as the wire can even break inside the plastic insulation.

Oki

Your window regulator panel may be riveted in place rather than bolted. i had to change my front regulator and I didn't have the right size rivets or a big rivet gun to attach them. Adding another €50 on to the price seemed like an unnecessary expense so I went to a hardware shop got some 13mm self drilling tec screws worked great and cost next to nothing.

3 hours ago, paulkennedy said:

Your window regulator panel may be riveted in place rather than bolted. i had to change my front regulator and I didn't have the right size rivets or a big rivet gun to attach them. Adding another €50 on to the price seemed like an unnecessary expense so I went to a hardware shop got some 13mm self drilling tec screws worked great and cost next to nothing.u

Uff very bad, mine are bolted.