Removal of mudflaps

fabman

Hi forum members,

changing our karoq sel on Saturday for sports line model , our original car came with mudflaps on it , my question is how easy are they to remove and do all the fixing screws etc stay with the car , or do I need all those parts also for fitting to new vehicle?

many thanks Ian

They may not fit.

There are two types of mud flap to match the different wheel arches, no doubt someone on here will be able to advise whether the Sports line is the same as the SEL

Is it worth changing them? They are hardly expensive!

• Like 1

I like you traded in my Skoda Karoq Edition model, and since I bought and fitted new mud flaps on this 2 1/2 year old vehicle, I removed them and have since fitted them on my new Skoda Karoq Sportsline model and they fit perfectly.  

I havent bothered with mudflaps for years as driving company lease cars, but as I am retiring next year I now own my own Karoq.

Do mudflaps really make much difference?

I have had them on previous cars and managed to rip them off? How resilient are they and do they reduce effective clearance when driving over lumps on tracks?

The mud just gets all over the mudflaps which with my OCD I really can't stand so I was endlessly washing the mudflaps !

I don't bother with them on any cars now......

They might be worth having if you are "normal",  but as they don't seem to actually stop the car getting dirty  and there is now 4 dirty mudflaps to see as well, they are a no no for me !

• Haha 1

i think that the karoq actually looks better without mud flaps , so think im going to see how it looks when i collect on Saturday  , thanks for all the comments so far    ocd and wallpaper  comments were brilliant lol 

On 08/12/2020 at 15:57, kenfowler3966 said:

I havent bothered with mudflaps for years as driving company lease cars, but as I am retiring next year I now own my own Karoq.

Do mudflaps really make much difference?

I have had them on previous cars and managed to rip them off? How resilient are they and do they reduce effective clearance when driving over lumps on tracks?

I guess my Karoq was approaching 18 months old when I fitted mudflaps; the car had been getting filthy during the winter months and I suppose the phrase that came to mind was 'every little helps'. The mudflaps are pretty substantial things, so 'flaps' is not really the right word when you compare these with the mudflaps of old; they really did flap about, fall off and line the roadside. To me, mudflaps seem to suit the Karoq design, I quite like their appearance.

I think they do protect against the muck - a bit - but it's difficult to be quantitative about it. The only way to test effectiveness would be to do a side by side comparison on the same road ......... Any Karoq (pref petrol blue) owners in East Anglia without mudguards fancy doing a comparative test in a lane frequented by sugar beet lorries?

Petrol blue car without mud flaps.  No beet lorries but normal rows and a muddy puddle that was a bit deeper than I thought and I might have been a little fast for it. :blush:

16D84A67-C476-4727-84A2-BB6398B05C19.thumb.jpeg.c29c1617f8ca7ea28c26ad90143d003f.jpeg

That was back in September, must confess still not washed her. 

Edited by DSL

I'll add my tuppence worth. Best double check what I'm about to say because I don't have the Sportline.

I buy my parts from either SkodapartsIreland or Skoda-parts in the Czech Rep. They should cost around 16 Euro a pair as opposed to around £45 in this country. Delivery is around 10 Euro.

Rear mudflaps - part 57A075101

Front mudflaps  - part 57A075111 - for cars with plastic wheel arch

Front mudflaps  - part 57A075111A  - for cars without plastic wheel arch

A Sportline doesn't have the plastic wheel arch whereas something like a Scout does. That's my understanding anyway, best to check with supplier you're ordering the correct ones.

I've fitted mudflaps to my Kodiaq Sportline but not my Karoq Edition. The reason behind that is the Edition has a wide plastic trim along the bottom of the doors therefore if it gets muddy, so what.

The Sportline on the otherhand has no protection and I'd rather avoid getting grit on the paintwork. So if I had a Sportline Karoq, yes I'd be fitting mudflaps.

Hope that helps.  :) 

Edit - it's really easy to fit mudflaps - they use slightly longer screws tho. If it were me, at under £40 inc delivery from Europe, I'd just buy brand new ones.

tip - if you're quick, get yourself down to Lidl and pickup a 90degree or 'offset' screwdriver for £2.99.  You can just about do the job without removing the wheels with a socket set - one of the rear screws maybe a tad fiddly ( you just have to take your time ) but with that £2.99 screwdriver?  :clap:   It's a piece of pi55. 15mins tops to do all four wheels.  

Edited by Guest

well old ones are removed and cleaned up although im slightly worried as now i  read that they require longer screws and i have to put screws back in to car arches to hold plastic in place , on the rears do you have to drill the hole for the big plastic  pop rivet part ?

9 hours ago, fabman said:

well old ones are removed and cleaned up although im slightly worried as now i  read that they require longer screws and i have to put screws back in to car arches to hold plastic in place , on the rears do you have to drill the hole for the big plastic  pop rivet part ?

I'm sure both Kodiaq and Karoq mudflap installation is the exact same so no, no pop rivet on rear. You'll probably have three screws withing the wheel arch - top, middle, bottom, and the fourth is underneath the car which stops the plastic from flapping around.

The extra length screw is to compensate for the thickness of the mudflap.

If I didn't have the original scrws then I'd just pop down to screwfix / halfords / DIY place or some motorfactors and look for something like these - they're very common. (15mm thread length).