Damaged Panoramic Sunroof Seal

Nobbysnuts

Imagine my horror today when getting into my karoq Sportline I noticed a hole in one of the rear panoramic roof exterior seals. It looks like a bird has pecked at it. It is a ragged hole approx 9mm in diameter. The seal concerned is the inner one going round the side  of the fixed rear glass panel. It is difficult to see but it may be a 1 piece seal that20201212_123334.thumb.jpg.f41d77e9a62c15ca0be46e1d48b0f74a.jpg may also go around the front of the fixed rear glass roof panel and back down the other side. Have stuck some sticky tape on the hole as a temporary way to stop water getting in and will visit local dealer on monday morning for their view / repair diagnosis and cost. Does anyone know if the seal can be replaced without the roof assembly coming out of the car as that cost I know will be horrendous. Also the seal is tubular with the hole in the top. If replacement seal costs are horrendous and I fill the hole would that be a bad idea or should i just keep an adhesive waterproof cover over the hole. Really hoping for someone on the forum will know

20201212_123342.jpg

Well local Skoda dealer confirmed that the seal goes all the way around the rear fixed glass panel and to fit it the front and rear glass have to be removed  -cost £380. Dealer also confirmed it wasn't the first report they had heard of birds pecking at sunroof seals.

Have temporarily covered hole with waterproof tape and will probably get job done in new year. I want to see if there is a repeat ocurrence beforehand. Hoping it's a one off and there isn't a rogue Magpie / Crow out there waiting to do it again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Ok - its been a while - but how did you go with investigations and repairs?

I ask, as my 2021 just had something similar, except I had 2 small holes - which lined up with the runner-position when the roof was in the fully-open position, which felt ... coincidental.