Ridiculous Skoda main dealer servicing costs

Miller73

I also looked at Hortons and Amazon and found at the moment comparable to each other although I favour Hortons for the oil filter, sump plug and washer Ebay for the oil. Of  course the prices will fluctuate. Just need some warm weather!

I have never understood how the HMRC never got involved with what must amount to fraud with the £179 & £279/289 services that were.

You pay a price that is the same even if the Air Filter, Fuel Filter or Spark Plugs were not changed. So not supplied and still on the shelf

The 20% VAT is charged inclusive with the £279.   Yet not changing the parts mean there is no parts sold and no VAT should be charged, and the labour is less as the parts are not checked, so they charge more for Labour to be able to have the VAT on that.

If you did that on a fixed price food menu and the person does not want a serving then that is one thing, but you can not charge the Customer VAT on the Main Course of a Steak at £20 if they are not having a Steak.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, freemansteve said:

Years ago, drain plug washers were copper; are they now all steel? I'd fit whatever was the original part was...

The replacement oil drain plugs I bought have captive steel washers and the one I took out (from the Yeti) was the same. Looking in the workshop manuals, there are either plus with captive washers or plugs with replaceable washer/seal/gasket.

I agree - replace like for like and if it's a captive steel washer, you either reuse the plug/washer 'assembly' it or bin it and fit a new 'assembly', which is what dealers seem to invoice for on a service.

• 3 weeks later...

As a PS to this subject... Skoda at Milton Keynes (who is now part of the Marshalls group) called me this morning inviting me to take my Yeti there for its service and MOT. I explained I wouldn't be going back there following my last visit with the Citigo and did explain exactly why.

As a follow up to my words earlier, at lunchtime, the After Sales Manager called me, listened and understood all of my points - he was there during the wheel bolt discussion.... Furthermore, he said that he was aware that the Citigo cam belt is an 'inspection only/replace on condition' call by Skoda (as opposed to the Skod UK default setting of change it on calendar time) and had reset their systems to not tell customers that their Citigo cam belt was due a change.

The conversation went a long way in restoring my faith in Skoda MK and at least this dealer is being pro-active in customer service.

(I actually serviced the Yeti over the Christmas break myself and will use the local MOT testing station) 

Well I got the service done a few days ago at the second attempt (turned up a week before that, booked over the phone but receptionist had no record of it lol).

£249 for basically an oil and filter change, new spark plugs and MOT. Brake strip/clean (£60) and brake fluid change (£60) both classed as "extras" which I quite happily declined. They didn't even bother to fill the windscreen washer fluid. I won't bother darkening their door again.

• 2 weeks later...

We mustn’t forget that the service departments have monthly targets to hit and receive performance based bonuses, it’s all about profit. 
I supplied all the parts for my 4 yr service to my local trusted mechanic, oil from Costco, original oil filter/spark plugs and generic air/pollen filters. £80 labour including brake fluid and comprehensive printed report.