Fabia Mk2 vRS - General Rattles and Knocks !

Happy New Year to you all !!!

I own a Mk2 Fabia vRS, CAVE engine. For a few months now it has had a metallic rattle between 1800-2500 RPM. It sounds like a loose heat shield would if it vibrated against the body. I've had it up on a ramp. There are no loose heat shields or thin metal items anywhere. I mentioned it to my mechanic and he had a poke around and was unable to find anything loose either. I remember somewhere on the forum someone mentioned rattling from fuel pipes or similar. I can see that there are covers on the underside of the body which run the length. Would there be anything under them like pipes or heat shields? Any idea or similar solved issues? (if it helps any, I had the Mechatronics rebuilt in Dec, but the sound existed before and after that so I don't think they're connected).

Also, I mentioned to my mechanic that there is a knocking at low speeds on ROS corner (as if a drop link had failed). He had a look and said that there are no rear drop links !  He suggested a "noisy shocker".  Any ideas ???

Thanks in anticipation. Stay Safe B)

• 2 weeks later...

Does the sound get worse when you turn on the a/c? I only ask because my mothers avensis had a problem where it sounded like the car had a blown engine but it got really loud and obnoxious when the a/c was turned on. It was traced back to a faulty crank pulley apparently, something about it putting more stress on the pulley when the a/c was engaged thus causing it to make more noise. 

There are no rear droplinks on fabias as there isnt a rear anti roll bar. The torsion beam acts as a rarb in our cars case. You'll find a lot of people will add a Whiteline or H&R rarb to these cars though, meant to sharpen up the handling. (I was surprised when I learned these cars didnt have rarb's but it makes sense when you look at how the rear suspension has been designed.)

Hi, thanks for your reply. My A/C doesn't work (compressor gubbed). Strangely enough with the recent cold snap, the noise hasn't been happening.  This makes me think its a pipe underneath the car rattling when the car is hot. I haven't taken the covers off underneath to check fuel lines, etc for looseness...... maybe a good starting point. It does sound metallic, like I said, something like a heat shield.

• Like 1