Scala Goodyear tyres

P55REY

After a test drive in an SEL 1.0 with 18” wheels and low profile tyres, I have had an SE 1.5 DSG with 16” Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 205/55/16 tyres.

My problem is that the 18” with 40 profile rubber was fine, but the Goodyear’s on my SE are really knobbly and noisy on anything other than smooth tarmac.

My previous car was a 2015 Fiesta Zetec with Michelin Cross Climate All-Season tyres which was way smoother over the same roads.

Any comments or advice?

Slightly surprised that the Goodyear Efficient Grip performance is Knobbly.  I thought it was a summer tyre, but it is a fuel saving tyre (which tends to mean it is harder).

I suspect like all eco style summer tyres it is far too hard at current low temperatures which is why it is noisy.  You appear to previously used cross climates (which are fairly quiet).   I’m afraid it is simply choice of tyre which is great at +23c (WLTP test temperature), but not designed for all year use in UK.  Simple rule don’t use summer tyres in cold weather, they grip poorly (especially in cold rain and sleet) and are hard and noisy.

I suspect either the road surfaces, or temperature or tyre brand was different, when you did test drive, and that was main differences in noise, not the size.

6 hours ago, P55REY said:

After a test drive in an SEL 1.0 with 18” wheels and low profile tyres, I have had an SE 1.5 DSG with 16” Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 205/55/16 tyres.

My problem is that the 18” with 40 profile rubber was fine, but the Goodyear’s on my SE are really knobbly and noisy on anything other than smooth tarmac.

My previous car was a 2015 Fiesta Zetec with Michelin Cross Climate All-Season tyres which was way smoother over the same roads.

The 18" tyres on the Scala are 205/45R18 not 40 profile rubber, at least according to wheel-size.com

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/scala/2020/

Skoda Scala 2020 1.5 TSi
 Generation: 2019 .. 2022 
 Power: 148 hp | 110 kW | 150 PS 
 Engine: I4, Petrol
 Options: Ambition, Style
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Torque: 120 Nm
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2019 .. 2020]
Tire 
Rim 
PCD 

205/55R16 91V 6Jx16 ET38 5x100

205/50R17 89V 6.5Jx17 ET40 5x100

205/45R18 90V 7Jx18 ET39 5x100

Although wheel-size.com claims an ET38 offset for the 16" alloy rims on the Scala, the 16" Nanuq uses an ET35 offset.

OEM alloy rims for Scala

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/hlinikove-disky/c/alloyWheels?q=%3AscoreDesc%3AcarType%3AScala%2B%282019%2B%29&page=0

OEM steel rims for Scala (either ET35 or ET40 offsets)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/plechovy-disk-16-/p/2Q0601027H+03C

Edited by Carlston

I only clocked that the SEL wheels were the optional big black 18” ones and assumed that the rubber would be slimmer. I wonder of the low rolling resistance aspect of the 16” Goodyears against the low profile 18” ‘normal’ tyres would be a reason why my SE feels rough tarmac noticeably more - dunno.

Edited by P55REY

12 hours ago, P55REY said:

I only clocked that the SEL wheels were the optional big black 18” ones and assumed that the rubber would be slimmer. I wonder of the low rolling resistance aspect of the 16” Goodyears against the low profile 18” ‘normal’ tyres would be a reason why my SE feels rough tarmac noticeably more - dunno.

For reasons that I can’t understand, SE spec has low rolling resistance tyres, but SE-L doesn’t (see brochure page 28).    SE-L normally has 17 inch wheels, with 18 inch as a hefty £830-£930 option (yes over £200 per wheel !)

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/fec3158f-9dc3-4b41-8d0a-c5faad85f1f5