Steering wheel creaking/grinding noise

DIYoda

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, joining as my dad has bought a 2019 Skoda Karoq Scout 1.5 TSI 4x4 DSG in Quartz grey. It had been used as a local Skoda dealership demo car with 2690 km on the odometer at the time of purchase.

When we picked the car up and was about to drive off I noticed a very faint creaking noise coming from the steering wheel column. It appeared when turning the steering wheel to the left by roughly 80 through about 170 degrees. It's not something that can be felt, but only heard.

We pointed this out to the dealer and he told us to get it sorted through the warranty. We had travelled there by train from another city, so it was not an appealing option to leave the car behind to get it fixed before a new delivery.

Since then the noise has sustained. Occasionally on some days it can magically vanish and on some other days can be heard also when rotating the steering wheel to the right side, at about same interval of degrees. When pushing the steering column plastic cover in different directions it mildly alters the noise, but never fully cancel it. 

Now the car is due for an oil change service and we have asked for an investigation. But dad is bit hesitant as he is worried some less cautious technician will do more harm and/or damage to the interior and what not than good to the silencing of the noise (I have seen plenty of examples of that too, to share his worrying). Besides, dad's hearing isn't the best, so he is not as bothered as I am about getting the issue fixed. Or maybe he is just pretending he doesn't hear it, in his best attempt to avoid having anyone tampering with it.

Anyways, I'm just curious if anyone else has had any similar issues or if anyone can come up with any alternative remedy to this rather annoying flaw on an otherwise truly impressive car?

Kind regards and thanks in advance,

Ours does this too - like your dad, I don’t want the lower dash area molested, it could bring on lots of heartache later.

As for the noise, I’d say more of a ‘creak’, perhaps rubber components rubbing / catching?

I’d like to be rid of the sound but, to be fair, the conditions have to all be right for me to experience it and I dare bet any Skoda technician won’t be able to hear it anyway?

I had this on another vehicle, not a Skoda ( or VAG vehicle) and cured it by spraying the UJ in the steering column located somewhere behind the brake pedal with WD40.

If you try that though be sure to cover the pedals with a rag or something so you don't get any WD40 on the pedal rubbers !!

I would caution against regular WD40 spray.  It can cause all sorts of issues later down the line and it stinks (inside the cabin) which may be more annoying than the creak. Also avoid silicone spray. it works for a few days but soon wears off.

Be veeeeeeery careful not to get anything at all on the actual wheel, stalks or, God forbid, the pedals (as Phil245 said).

At a push you may want to try a little DRY ptfe spray (careful there is also a WET one which you should avoid).

https://wd40.co.uk/product/anti-friction-dry-ptfe-lubricant-spray/

but.... be warned - it may release other parts that at the moment don't creak as they are pressed nicely together and they may start to creak. 

I would get the garage to sort it.   I think they use a combination of Dry PTFE, fabric tape such as TESA ADHESIVE TAPE CLOTH for wires rubbing and to tighten up gaps Einszett gummi pflege for the rubber seals if they creak/leak :  https://www.amazon.co.uk/nextzett-91480615-Rubber-Stick-White/dp/B004B8GTQG 

I also used some silicone paste at strategic points (purchased in a toothpaste type container from RS supplies) to stop rattles in a couple of places.  

I had terrible troubles with my old tiguan and have spent many a day doing the rounds with the wife driving and me on the back seats dabbing abit of gummi here, a bit of ptfe there and plenty of Cloth tape wherever I could get it in.  It works but takes much patience and perserverence :-)

Good luck!

Paul

Edited by smipx

On 9.01.2021 г. at 6:13, DIYoda said:

Здравейте всички,

Аз съм нов в този форум, като се присъединих, тъй като баща ми купи 2019 Skoda Karoq Scout 1.5 TSI 4x4 DSG в кварцов сив цвят. Той е бил използван като местен демонстрационен автомобил на Skoda с 2690 км на километража по време на покупката.

Когато взехме колата и щяхме да потеглим, забелязах много слаб скърцащ шум, идващ от колоната на волана. Той се появи при завъртане на волана наляво с около 80 до около 170 градуса. Това не е нещо, което може да се усети, а само да се чуе.

Посочихме това на дилъра и той ни каза да го подредим с гаранцията. Бяхме пътували до там с влак от друг град, така че не беше привлекателна възможност да оставим колата зад себе си, за да я оправим преди нова доставка.

Оттогава шумът се задържа. Понякога в някои дни може магически да изчезне, а в други дни може да се чуе и при завъртане на волана надясно, при приблизително същия интервал от градуси. Когато натискате пластмасовия капак на кормилната колона в различни посоки, той леко променя шума, но никога не го отменя напълно. 

I had a similar problem at 2000 km. Skoda replaced a defective ribbon cable. There are no defects in the plastics of the steering column. Good luck solving the problem!

Hi all,

Thank you guys for replying. Today the noise issue was cured by the local authorized Skoda workshop. The part at fault was some ring that transfer electronic signals to and from the steering wheel, not sure of its proper name. Apparently this ring is at the time not sold as a separate part, so they had to replace the whole unit. It is the same unit that also holds the three stalks for ACC, high beam lights/turn indicators and wipers. Replacement was very nicely executed without any visible damage to the interior trim. The fault is now completely gone and steering is dead silent. Work was done under warranty without any discussion or hesitation whatsoever on behalf of Skoda.

Kind regards,

• Like 4

:thumbup:

No amount of sprays or gloop or tape would have sorted that fault - you did exactly the right thing. Glad its sorted.