Have Skoda shafted my new car?

Hi guys. I ordered my new sport line on the 9th November. I’m reading now that Skoda are stripping more and more parts from the kodiaq and one of these is the headed steering wheel as well as the alacantara in the middle of the seats. Would my car suffer from these changes? If so and they didn’t tell me what should I do? I’m getting a little miffed that I’m finding these things out online rather than them ringing me. I saw the one in the showroom at the time and was disappointed that they were removing the door protectors but now this! Also I’m concerned what the new steering wheel is going to look like tbh!

The brochures and online configurations all come with bit of small print at end saying that specifications can change, and please check with dealer.

There have been examples of some standard items being replaced, exchanged for something else, or dropped altogether (and in spirit of fairness, some things have been added since some ordered).  I would be contacting your dealer, as some dropped items may be able to be reinstated as an option, but if not getting anything in exchange, would push for original price to be maintained.

Do you have new brochures in Ireland, the UK ones were reissued in December (and are online as pdf), but I know Ireland specs are often downgraded due to VRT

3 hours ago, aerodynamic18 said:

Hi guys. I ordered my new sport line on the 9th November. I’m reading now that Skoda are stripping more and more parts from the kodiaq and one of these is the headed steering wheel as well as the alacantara in the middle of the seats. Would my car suffer from these changes? If so and they didn’t tell me what should I do? I’m getting a little miffed that I’m finding these things out online rather than them ringing me. I saw the one in the showroom at the time and was disappointed that they were removing the door protectors but now this! Also I’m concerned what the new steering wheel is going to look like tbh!

Let me set your mind at rest.  Yes the heated steering wheel has been removed from the UK Sportline spec. The list price has also been reduced to reflect that change. So if you want a heated steering wheel, then choose it as an option and you'll be no worse off.

The above reply from SurreyJohn is something people ignore. For a whole variety of reasons things can change so sometime even a dealer doesn't know what's going to arrive off the transporter.  It's always a good idea to get the specs from a dealer when you purchase a car, there's little to gain in 'assuming' anything. If you've agreed to buy a car exactly like the one you saw in the showroom then that's what you should receive. If it's not then that's an issue that's been well discussed on this forum.

Door protectors? The door protectors were removed as std equipment quite some time ago. The showroom car you saw probably had optional extras. Door protectors come as part of the family pack - it's been like that for sometime. I have them, that's because the brochure I read last year said they were optional. It's not something new.

Also I’m concerned what the new steering wheel is going to look like.  There have been pictures of it for the past 5 months. IMO It's much better to use and more solid feeling than the MY20 steering wheel. I can't imagine anyone saying they'd prefer the older steering wheel.

7 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Let me set your mind at rest.  Yes the heated steering wheel has been removed from the UK Sportline spec. The list price has also been reduced to reflect that change. So if you want a heated steering wheel, then choose it as an option and you'll be no worse off.

The above reply from SurreyJohn is something people ignore. For a whole variety of reasons things can change so sometime even a dealer doesn't know what's going to arrive off the transporter.  It's always a good idea to get the specs from a dealer when you purchase a car, there's little to gain in 'assuming' anything. If you've agreed to buy a car exactly like the one you saw in the showroom then that's what you should receive. If it's not then that's an issue that's been well discussed on this forum.

Door protectors? The door protectors were removed as std equipment quite some time ago. The showroom car you saw probably had optional extras. Door protectors come as part of the family pack - it's been like that for sometime. I have them, that's because the brochure I read last year said they were optional. It's not something new.

Also I’m concerned what the new steering wheel is going to look like.  There have been pictures of it for the past 5 months. IMO It's much better to use and more solid feeling than the MY20 steering wheel. I can't imagine anyone saying they'd prefer the older steering wheel.

Cheers for the reply. When was the list price reduced? I have the family pack ordered so I hope the door edge protectors do come with it. We really like that as part of our current kodiaq

As stated above, this whole issue has, unfortunately, been discussed many times. Fundamentally, the brochure has the legalese weasel words which effectively say 'don't believe the brochure/price list/configurator, check with the dealer as to what the car's spec will be'. Whenever I've ordered a car, I email the dealer, using polite language, saying that I expect them to tell me, based on the brochure/price list/configurator, what the actual spec of the car is, and - importantly - what changes have occurred between ordering the car and its build (given that the time between order and build can be many months). Your contract is with the dealer, not Skoda UK, so you're ordering a product with an agreed specification at an agreed price, and if the spec changes, you are entitled to exercise various options, within reason, to ensure you are not financially disadvantaged. A change to the alloy wheel design wouldn't be a valid reason for rejection, but removal of a significant item eg heated steering wheel, certainly would, if it couldn't be retro-fitted.

I have never, ever, ever, heard of a dealer who pro-actively tells a purchaser of changes in the car's spec during the order-build interval. Such good customer service would be totally unacceptable. The guilty staff would be publicly executed as a warning to others for such outrageous behaviour totally at odds with the culture of car purchase and ownership in the UK.

5 hours ago, aerodynamic18 said:

Cheers for the reply. When was the list price reduced?

The price changed when the spec changed. I believe it was around late Nov, early Dec. 2020

I still have the brochure when I ordered my car in August. ( pricelist from 24Jul '20 )

1231943962_PriceJUL.thumb.JPG.b5daa308ff4f41770b1958724944f9d6.JPG

And the Jan '21 pricelist

126744806_PriceJan.thumb.JPG.b89347aa51ca592746794857d260df3e.JPG

As with most forums, people love a good moan and you get the armchair experts who immediately jump when they see any change because they like to be first to break the headline news  "Skoda is screwing us again".  If folk took just 5mins to research things first then people like yourself who read the mis-information would be better informed.

The MY21 car is better than the MY20 car it replaced. If it's the Sportline then there will be other things you'll find Skoda have added, but you'll rarely read of it.  As I say, forums are full of people who see their glasses half empty rather than half full.

Enjoy your car when it comes.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, aerodynamic18 said:

Tbh the 2 things I’m most annoyed about is the loss of the headed steering wheel and also the change of the alacantara to something else tbh

But you haven't lost the heated steering wheel - I thought I made that perfectly clear above?

Skoda UK no longer use the disclaimer removing them of their obligations to provide their customers with a product identical to that of the one you ordered when entering into your contract with the retailer.

If the heated steering wheel and Alcantara seats were standard when you ordered then that's what you're entitled to.

If the retailer isn't able to fulfil their side of your contract (these things happen, component shortages etc.) then you're entitled to exit the contract without being disadvantaged financially. Sometimes the retailer will offer a partial refund if you agree to keep the car.

Speak to Skoda UK customer services and ask for the date when the specification changed. If that date is after the date your order was placed onto the system (not necessarily the day you agreed the deal with the retailer) then you're entitled to those features.

On the configurator, Skoda is still using the following disclaimer

Please note - ŠKODA reserves the right to change the prices, colours and technical data of models shown and described in the car configurator

and in their price list:

The information in this document referring to specification, design, equipment, material and external appearance relates to the time at which this brochure was created.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure its accuracy, the information in this document is not binding and is subject to alteration. Some images within this document depict left hand drive models, with both standard and optional equipment

shown. Please confirm exact specifications, prices and colour availability with your ŠKODA Retailer who will be notified of any changes as they occur

Like I said in my post, remember, your contract is with the dealer, not Skoda UK

On 23/01/2021 at 10:49, SinglePointSafety said:

On the configurator, Skoda is still using the following disclaimer

Please note - ŠKODA reserves the right to change the prices, colours and technical data of models shown and described in the car configurator

and in their price list:

The information in this document referring to specification, design, equipment, material and external appearance relates to the time at which this brochure was created.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure its accuracy, the information in this document is not binding and is subject to alteration. Some images within this document depict left hand drive models, with both standard and optional equipment

shown. Please confirm exact specifications, prices and colour availability with your ŠKODA Retailer who will be notified of any changes as they occur

Like I said in my post, remember, your contract is with the dealer, not Skoda UK

Doesn’t that just mean that they are not obliged to keep the spec the same from one week to the next. So if you look at the configurator this week and decide to buy a red car but don’t order until next week, they’re warning that they might not sell red cars next week. 

Once you’ve ordered, your contract is for what is ordered. Skoda can’t turn around and say “we know you ordered a car, but we reserve the right to change the spec and now deliver you a moped”. 

In my limited experience, provided you notice, Skoda will make good changes to spec either by allowing you to reject the car, or giving you some cash. 

Mr Trilby, unfortunately, it's not as benign as that. The disclaimer actually means "when you order the car, don't rely on the brochure/price list/configurator. The definitive spec must be obtained from your dealer." And yes, you're right "between your order and delivery, we can decide to change the spec, and your dealer can tell you what the changes are". 

In practice, obviously the spec at order time will closely match the brochure/price list/configurator (and these three aren't necessarily consistent, as was the case when I ordered my Kodiaq - it was the price list that the dealer reckoned was 'correct'). In theory, you ask the dealer what the differences are between price list and reality, and the dealer, in their great wisdom, tells you. In practice, they will look all hurt and vacant, and mutter "dunno, what it says in the price list etc, what else would it be?". And as I said, don't ever expect anyone to volunteer what might have changed in the spec between order and build. Even if you ask, you're unlikely to get any useful answer, it will be up to you to discover the changes, as happened to me, by examining each issue of the price list in the months between order and build. At no time did the dealer contact me to let me know these changes in the spec, even though the price lists would have revealed them.

I would guess that their attitude is "we have your deposit, you've waited months for the car, naaah, you're not going to walk away from the deal, are you?" even though a colleague of mine did exactly that a few years ago when his VW was delivered lacking some safety features which were not fitted because of some technical issue with that specific model. 

I had the exact same experience. The spec of the car was not as I ordered, and it was down to me to spot it. My point was that Skoda could not force me to buy the car. They offered me the option of walking away and getting my deposit back, or a “financial adjustment” to account for the change in spec. 

Fortunately for us the change in spec was annoying but minor. 

Totally understand Mr Trilby, and that self-same thing happened to me with my previous car (VW) - an error in the price list description, minor issue (to me), rapid and very acceptable offer of compensation from VW, facilitated by an alert, responsive, moral, intelligent salesperson (they do exist).

With my colleague it was an atrocious episode. Evidently after the order was placed, VW told the dealer that the car could not have those options fitted. The dealership did several unforgivable things, including not telling my colleague about the spec change, and not even reducing the price given that these options were not actually installed. They blamed 'human error' compounded by the original salesperson leaving the company (turnover in car salespeople is usually brutally high). There was no way that he wouldn't have noticed the omissions, they only fessed up on the day he went to collect the car and even tried to say the changes were minor and hence no price adjustment was appropriate (er, several £100?). As it happened, the revised price list(s) would have made it very clear that those options were not offered on that particular model. But he didn't check (and some would say, why should he?)

Fortunately he had other cars in the family he could use, the dealer squealed like crazy when he rejected the vehicle. He had to fight (and involve VW) to get his deposit returned, threatening to go very public might have helped.