Gear selection issue

Hi all

My 2005 251k 1.9 TDI is suffering through lack of use. I have experienced this issue differently once before when not used for long periods. If used regularly it’s a lot happier. So previously I would miss fifth gear as it would not quite catch on the gear throw. Today took it around the block for its approx 7 day spin(all it gets at the moment). I can not select third it goes into first. The issue today, more of concern is the gear lever is not returning to the centre to catch the 3rd gate properly. Is there any greasing I can do, as I suspect it’s all dried out as you can see in the picture. Interestingly if I move the stick all the way to the right to select 5 but not throw it forwards the lever takes a long time to return to the centre. By long I mean 2-3 seconds to slowly drift back to the centre. In my view this should be an instant return to the centre not the lazy return, it’s doing today all feels very tight rather then wobbly like it should be. 

Any ideas?

69140E8D-A186-47C4-9A49-0F9D668F32BD.jpeg

DC4BFB0F-5E07-4D80-BCB6-0E657280227E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, MicMac said:

Check/lubricate cables/linkage in engine compartment.

Cheers @MicMac what is the best choice for such as task. Despite the likes of WD40 or GT85 shouting about lubrication abilities they tend to dry out after while?

I am getting the same issue with my 2010 1.8TSi 6-speed.   However, mine works properly from cold.  The gear shift becomes like treacle after about 15 miles running (so presumably only after everything has warmed up). 

Any idea why it should be temperature sensitive?

Also, I seem to recall reading (on a Golf forum I believe) that the gearbox oil might need a change.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Update, I tried GT85 at the gear lever end and also under the bonnet in various places around the gear box, after removing the air box for access. It would have had chance to get into places as i performed this on Saturday and drove it yesterday. It’s still stiff and not returning to centre. I also realised this would have been like it for ages. As I subconsciously started to drive it like I used to by guiding from 2nd to 3rd. Rather than rely on the lever to do the job of centering the gear stick. I found some info on the web about dismantling the gear box tower where this pivots up and down. It gets gummed up. If this white grease is anything to go by it will go crusty after a while wherever it is. I may just try a lot more oil in that area first. These things are to be expected after 250K I suppose.