Shuddering on idle

Hi All,

Just picked up my new VRS today. Thrilled to bits with it. However it's more noticable now (only 100miles so far) that on idle there is a lot of vibration passing through the car (steering wheel, gear stick, seats). Opening the bonnet the engine is shaking about a bit.

Off idle it's fine.

Is this the norm for this car as don't recall this on the demo vehicle I tested?

God I hope this is nothing major!:o

Thanks

Frank

Have driven an '04/54 plate with 14k on and an '06/06 with 900 miles only - neither was particularly 'rattly' but the '04 one was definately the more refined, maybe it just needs to loosen up a bit.

Hope you enjoy it.

does it stutter.....mine stuttters and has a rough idle at times even after 3k miles...and only 5 weeks old!

rI think the stuttering and rough idle are related...linked to the compliance with emissions regs on 06 vRS's

i'm in two minds whether or not to get it back - it seems too severe to be normal - like makes the whole car shake!

Maybe it's a stutterings, but when you hit the accelerator it recovers straight away and gets on with it.

I paid for a hatchback not a HGV!:rolleyes:

Taek it back - it shouldn't do it. Might be worth having a look under the bonnet while it's idling and see if the engine is shaking about at idle as that might indicate an engine mount is the problem?

Chris

The idle is rougher on my 06 model, my 05 was very smooth by comparison, the 06 tick over seems too slow which makes it feel lumpy, My dealer said on Friday that Skoda is working on a new map which should fix all the mentioned problems but the car will not be re-called officially it will be for anybody who complains but he had no idea when it would be available.

mine used to be a bit like that when new, (05 plate) it had the classic gearlever rattle, but it all settled down to nothing as the car was run in.... give it a couple of thousand miles :)

I've done 3 k already...still shakes etc

I've done some experimenting with this.

As with all car troubles it's intermittent, that's for sure.:rolleyes:

• When it occurs, if I activate the aircon or put load on the engine of any other form (blower etc) then it goes away.

• Most of the driving I did yesterday when I picked up the car was done with the A/C on which explains why I didn't feel the effects.

• My Subaru Impreza used to suffer from this problem but the opposite way around, it use to run rough with A/C turned on!

• Maybe the motor being new and tight is struggling to keep idle? - this was certainly the case with a new motorbike I owned a couple of years back.

I might perservere with this for a little while longer and if it begins to bug me I'll get it in for some investigation.

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone that's interested the shuddering occurs all the time now on idle and I now have to suppress the throttle slightly to stop it doing it. Switching on A/C helps a bit but it gradually takes over. (800miles in total to date).

I'm a bit disappointed in all honesty but hope something simple lies at the bottom of this fault.:rolleyes:

Mine shudders a little on idle - the reason for this is just the low idle speed. You just need to lift the revs by 50-100rpm to stop it. For those of you with a custom remap, I'm sure this could just be dialled out. Thinking about it, increasing the idle speed can probably be carried out via vagcom - can anyone confirm this?

Mine swings between the a shudder and normal idle. I can accept the average 'rumlble' but mine really shakes... so much so it makes you feel giddy when it does it.:eek:

I drove up to Wales today and noticed whilst at high alititude the problem went away. :confused:

I'm hoping it's something simple which is faulty.

Guest Fabia 12v

i get this, not very often mind, on my golf tdi. would to be interested in fault diagnosis before i get rid of it.

• When it occurs, if I activate the aircon or put load on the engine of any other form (blower etc) then it goes away.

Take it back and ask for some action, shouldn't give you this much concern.

When the aircon goes on the engine management system compensates for the load by increasing the throttle setting to avoid running too heavy a load and stalling. My 05 runs fine at idle but switch the aircon on and it'll run faster momentarily as the EMS plays around with the fuelling to compensate for the new load.

It sounds like your idle is normally set too slow, but the EMS obviously recognises when the aircon comes on and compenstaes accordingly.

What kind of RPM are you showing on the rev counter. The 06 model may idle slower, but it sounds like yours is spending a lot of time on the point of stalling.

Try another Skoda dealer for second opinion if yr normal one isn't responding to positively.

Thanks for the reply.

Aircon mostly clears the problem but recently it started doing it with it on (but that is intermittent).

It idles about two notches below 1000rpm. If I switch on aircon it doesn't move up. It's always remains in the same position regardless of the idle issue.

I do agree with what you are saying, an engine management tweak require. Whether or not the dealer can make ammendments we shall wait and see.

It doesn't feel like it's going to stall and comes off idle without any issue, it just shudders really violently.

Anyhow, it goes in tomorrow - shall post the outcome on hear.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone actually come to a conclusion about this issue? My girlfriends Furby 1.4 MPi (8v) sits and shakes its engine violently at idle, and is still lacking 'oomph' as compared to my N reg Fiestar 1.25 Zetec.

I've tried disconnecting the Fuel injectors one by one and they all seem to be working normally, its had its plugs, coil pack, air filter, oil etc etc all changed. The lambda sensor was changed at the last MOT too at a cost of