Consumption data

I was driving my Fabia 2015 1.2TE  with the consumption data on the screen and all of a sudden the data started going all over the place form 10  to 300 and numbers in between AND A LIGHT CAME ON SAYING WORKSHOP any ideas please

Mike

My display is slightly different from yours. All I can remember was the first line of the message was workshop. Also between the mileage and the trip a light came up. The consumption screen was all over the place that's when after about a minute or so the message came up. It has not affected the driving. When I attached my code reader it did not show any code.

Being a new car I had just bought I was checking out the buttons and switches I just wondered if I set something up wrong. Still not used to everything on the car.

Pic 1.This is how it is when I am stationary or take my foot off the accelerator.

Pic 2. Shows Consumption 77.6 mpg, It jumps up to  200 and down to 50 then up again and then down again in a split second. I tried to replicate the message so went for a drive but it didn't bring up a message. It was definitely a caution light earlier but as I said I can only recall the first line which said workshop. I might have set it wrong or something

x zx 0131.jpg

x zx 0062.jpg

You have it set to instantaneous fuel consumption and not average fuel consumption, you need one click up or down.

Thank you for the reply, but one question why have a screen with Consumption on and why does it keep jumping wildly up and down on the mpg?

2 hours ago, Mikerp said:

Thank you for the reply, but one question why have a screen with Consumption on and why does it keep jumping wildly up and down on the mpg?

Probably because it is one of the available ways of displaying fuel consumption, to some people it might be useful but to most it is not, leaving the displayed consumption as average is useful.

2 hours ago, Mikerp said:

That is two questions, which one do you want an answer to? :)

• Like 1

Ok sorry, why does the mpg keeping wildly jumping all over the place it goes through the range from low mpg up to 200 back down to 50 up to 175 down to 30 etc these changes take place as you are watching them. Even after 10 mins of driving they are still all over the place

Because this is live instantaneous fuel consumption.

In a low gear with large throttle openings you could be doing as little as 10 MPG.

Take your foot off the throttle and it will rise to 300 if the engine is above about 1400 RPM and you are still in gear.

When stationary and with the engine running it will read _ _ _ because you are doing 0 MPG.

It is always changing as you speed up / slow down, go up hills and down.

Each gear change up will improve the number.

Read the Manuals ( both ) for more info.

Thanks, AG Falco

Its a very usefull function when you understand what it does, my Yeti has a really annoying feature of telling me when to change up and down gears, I hate it, sometimes when I am cruising at 50kph in town it will tell me to change down to 5th from 6th, the engine is not labouring, I'm not accelerating, it feels correct, as AG Falco says usually (within limits) the higher the gear the better the economy but in these instances keeping a steady throttle opening (essential) I have found that the instantaneous mpg does indeed increase by dropping a cog.

Another thing that you can see is that no fuel is used on the over-run until the revs drop to idle speed whereupon it pours on the coals to prevent stalling, if you start playing obsessive to get the maximum possible MPG on empty roads you can just let the car bimble along on the flat at 50kph with no throttle in top gear, the display will jump from - - - mpg to 20-30 when it pours on the coals then cruises at 150mpg before cutting the fuel again to display - - - mpg.

All figures for illustration only.

Thanks for that, but the elephant in the room is the orange triangle sign and the error message Workshop !!!! I didn't get what it said under that