BONNET WONT UNDO - FIX

Morning All,

Bit of a guide really after following some advice on here, and some ideas of my own (well the father in laws)..

So yesterday after popping out at lunchtime to check the oil level post an oil service the day before, pulled the bonnet release handle in the cabin and it moved with some tension but hey ho.. bonnet wont release. 

The fix was, drivers side wheel off, inner arch liner removed (plastic part), and fiber liner pulled back out the way, and headlight cover removed, the offending cable can be seen easily, but when grabbed and pulled the 2 parts just separated at the connector near the bonnet release catch on the slam panel. With a torch the nipple of the bonnet release end of the cable can be easily seen.

We tied a slip knot to the end of an old bathroom light string, and maneuvered it over the nipple using a flexible grabber pull the string and hey presto bonnet is open! Then its just a case of simply reattaching the cables in the connector and cable tying it together so it cant release again.

Hope this helps someone one day Lol

Dan

• Thanks 1

Are you saying that you pulled on the end of the cable attached to the bonnet release after the connector had come apart? That is to say the connector joins a short and long length of cable?

I have seen said connector if that is what it is, not knowing it was a joiner I had to unbolt the bonnet catch to remove the slam panel.

Yeah thats right, there is a long length going from the handle in the cabin to the little black box hidden under the slam panel, this then joins a small length going to the actual bonnet release, funny idea sure its like that for some special reason!

That info is good to know for the future, it will be there to reduce assembly time (lock already fitted to slam panel) and have the secondary advantage of making accident repairs or removing the front crashbar to change radiator/AC condensor/intercooler easier.

That does make sense, shame it appears to have turned into the weak point in the system, wondering if the clips on the connector are sort of single use as I recently had cause to disconnect it whilst replacing the AC condenser, if only I had thought to cable tie it shut then.