Heater fan motor fail - Octavia Mk 2

Hi all

I'm looking for help with two questions. What caused it? What should I do about it?

A bit of background.

I recently took my 2010 Octavia in to my local dealer for an annual service (despite it having only done 1,200 miles in the last year!)

That morning, having rarely been used, and then only for short local trips, the car struggled slightly to start. I left it running in the dealer car park and told them it struggled. But they said turn it off, so I did. 

They didn't get the car finished that day (slightly annoying at I took it in at 8.30am). They called and I went to collect it the next day but it was still on the ramp. They'd charged it overnight but it had taken no charge and now had no power at all. A new battery was needed. £140. None in stock. Ordered for next day. 

So I got the car back on day three. I didn't use the car for a few days but when I did, the blowers were doing nothing. All the electrics seemed to be functioning. Some noises from behind the dash. But no airflow on auto A/C, manual A/C or plain fan. 

I rang up and they were happy to take a look and get it sorted. When I arrived they confessed they'd put the wrong battery in the car. They thought this might be be reason the fans were not working. But they assured me it would not have caused damage, just that the power was too low. 

They put the correct battery in but them brought out the fan motor assembly. Not a good sign. The blades were not rotating freely at all. Replacement part £420. 

I said that while I couldn't imagine how a battery issue could have caused seizing of the fans,  and that I understood the car is now old,  the coincidence was striking. 

I played with it myself and after a while it loosened up. They lubricated it and stuck it back in and it worked.  They were clear it might not last very long.

It didn't. 

They've offered to replace it free of labour costs as it's a quick job. But obviously that is with the OEM Valeo part which is expensive. 

I can see that non OEM compatible parts are £200 to £270 on Euro Parts. 

I had a go at taking the glove compartment etc off today to see if I could get the old one out. I got right to the part but could not quite clever it out and then chickened out (I have a tendency to make things worse). 

I do know a one-man mobile company who I'm sure could do it for a reasonable fee. 

So....

1. Is there any reason to suspect a link between the battery mistake and the apparently seized fan?

2. Should I pay for the OEM part with free dealer fitting, or the non OEM with a knowledgeable independent fitting?

I know it's an old car but given the mileage and how reliable it's been, I don't have any plans to change it any time soon. 

Grateful for thoughts and experience. 

Edited by DadWagon

1. No.

2. Neither.

Check/clean/replace the blower motor brushes ~£5.

Read this: 

You could always take the part number from the unit and search online for a good used item looking for another life.

Edited by MicMac

It is the easiest job in the world to do on the MK2, they really designed it well, easy to strip & lubricate bearings & free brushes, loads of dirt cheap second hand units available.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again.

Having read that thread, I was in two minds about repair vs replace. Seems repairs don't  always last too long. 

I decided to pull it all out and have a look. 

I followed this video to remove the unit, with the exception that I found there was no need to remove the glove box, and the air flow pipes only need pulling back slightly. 

I took the control module off, then used a small flat screw driver to pry the three rubber clips back to remove the back housing. 

I cleaned it out as best I could with no compressed air or anything. There was quite a bit of dust when I bashed it a bit. Even found a small leaf in there! 

I placed some oil on each end of the spindle and gave each end a few whacks with a mallet. 

I don't know how to strip it any further, so that was the best I could do.

The fan then rotated more freely, though I don't know what normal is for reference. 

I reinstalled it (again very easy). I have airflow!

Not sure how long it will last. 

Are there any videos / guides on stripping the fan further and cleaning or replacing bushes?

Thanks.

Edited by DadWagon

Glad you got a result, I've not seen any videos on replacing the brushes, can't even find a source for them!

Still brushes are brushes so what works in a vacuum cleaner/washing machine etc. could be adapted by filing to fit.

It's possible the brushes were just sticking in their holders as a result of their own dust/moisture/dirt/lack of use causing the motor not to run, banging things around may have jarred them free.

Cheers.

Now I know how accessible it is, I'll just see how it goes. If it packs it for a third time, I'll get a replacement.

Still in two minds about OEM Valeo vs a non OEM.

Euro Car Parts has up to 45% off until end of today (I appreciate they are not strangers to sales). But still, it's a big saving 

Valeo at Euro Car Parts £276

EIS at Euro Car Parts £128

Then again, I think this is same part?

Valeo at Buy Car Parts £160

If so, that's a huge bargain versus the £420 dealer price!

You're just looking to buy a new part at considerable cost unnecessarily.

You fixed it, don't go putting the cart before the horse now.

I appreciate your concern. 

As I said, I'm thinking about what I'd do if it fails again. 

I'm also thinking about when the current situation changes and the car is used for long distance drives. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm basically in the same position as you. My motor was seized, I used the WD-40 Special Silicone version which didnt work at first, but then i think permeated into in baring and spins ok now, but now a couple of months later, it makes screeching noises multiple time a drive.

It definitely needs a new motor but also not sure whether to get a new one from ECP or if a £60 new unbranded one/£20 second hand OE motor off of ebay. I'm worried that a £20 fan from ebay will have the same fate shortly, they are all the same age original fans which are 1 - 2 years  older than my original. As much as I'd like to say to you that it's the garages fault. If the fan seized, then it's totally unrelated. 

Which did you decided on in the end? 

I've left it as is.

Seems to be working fine so far. It's had very slightly more use. I'm hoping that's helping. 

At the same time I downloaded to auto doc app and remain tempted by a replacement. 

Are we definitely taking about the same part? It was over £400 to replace mine at RRP. Even on the auto doc app with the current 35% sale it is £145. 

@00000000001

Silicone isn't a good lubricant for this application as it dries over time and you'll get noises as you've experienced.

Just apply some solvent/cleaner to the bronze motor bushes and spin it, once dry apply a good application of clean engine oil and it'll outlive the car.

10 minutes ago, MicMac said:

@00000000001

Silicone isn't a good lubricant for this application as it dries over time and you'll get noises as you've experienced.

Just apply some solvent/cleaner to the bronze motor bushes and spin it, once dry apply a good application of clean engine oil and it'll outlive the car.

Yes, I should have mentioned, I used oil rather than silicone having seen advice as per the above. That may be be difference. 

I didn't have solvent/cleaner.  But I will do this if it reoccurs.