Octavia mk2 subwoofer cleanest setup

Ok so I just got a 2010 vrs diesel after downgrading from a 3.0L e46 with a nice aftmarket stereo and I'm not enjoying the bolero stereo, no bluetooth and full range speakers that cant handle bass. I want to replace the stereo, add a reversing camera and add a subwoofer all at the same time with a crossover so those crap full range speakers dont play that crap bass.

I'm set on a sony xav-ax1005db as its got carplay, looks to be decent software and has a volume knob so need to find the best subwoofer setup for it.

Whats the best way to do this cleanly without multiple branded expensive amp boxes(they only have basic chips like TPA3116 anyway) and clean cable management?

hello,

on head units -

i started with a swing in my 2010 1.6 tdi "s", upgraded to a second hand bolero solely because it had a sd slot, i covet my cd collection so never used the cd, sound quality imo was better

also have a 2012 blackline vrs, which came with the amundsen+, not much difference in sound quality between the bolero and the amundsen.

tried an expensive blaupunkt (think the bolero is made by blaupunkt, maybe wrong) but was unimpressed on maps, very laggy software and sound was nothing to shout about.

have you looked at android head units? 

again i'm only speaking from my experience

have a look at xtrons (others available), i'm on my second, the first had slightly sketchy harness wiring (which i tried to modify. badly), however they have seriously improved in quality in this regard, and was completely plug and play. does maps. phone, equalisation, camera...all sorts of connectivity and the sound chip is good.

however no volume knob!

on speakers -

even my 1.6 tdi "s"  has component speakers in the front (none at all in the back doors).

the woofer is not too bad, but admittedly in the wrong place, by your ar5e, and tweeter whilst in a semi sensible place by the door handle, is overblown.

no crossover just a bass filter cap next to the tweeter.

also sound deadening in the doors is abit remiss,

i fitted some rainbow dreamline dl-c6,2 components in the "s", the beauty of these is that the tweeter fits in the stock location behind the grills, added some sound deadening behind the woofer.

more than happy.

on subwoofers - 

no idea soz

play it loud sir

For now I’ve settled with a pioneer

sph-da120 from my old car which needs a new touch screen glass and a refurbed edge db7200 which is sold by Halfords(chain store if you’re from elsewhere) and apparently is labelled much higher wattage than its actual output.

I looked at keeping the bolero but as there’s no reverse camera and very expensive to setup Bluetooth I’d rather scrap it. 

Yeah I looked at android units on aliexpress including xtrons and the issue seems to be they’re very slow and require a lot of presses to do anything while driving.

The Android units are sold under umpteen brands with the same features but some of the newer ones have a newer processor sold as px6, from geekbench scores it’s about twice as fast but only equates to iPhone 6 performance which is slow for modern software!

its really interesting you saying there’s no crossover at all?! so would be interesting to add one. 

hello,

no worries, you've done your homework.

i don't have any issues with speed but mine's only a 1.6 tdi (sic), are you turning your car into the battlestar galalctica?

yep, no crossover at all, good old vag fitted a bass blocker (cap) inline with the tweeter!, tried various caps to try to attenuate sound, but eventually saw sense,

and having melted a few, went with aftermarkets.

I want crisper audio and to be able to connect my phone for calls and music so CarPlay does that.

I googled the octavia crossover and there does seem to be a single capacitor crossover but apparently replacing the crossover and teeter is enough that’s certainly something to investigate as turning up the audio sounds horrible.

hello,

this is bizarre,

had a pair of dreamline dl c6.2 components listed on an auction site for ages (decided against fitting rear component speakers, just rainbow el-w6 woofers and a low pass filters in the "s",  it's an estate for the woofs/work, so a sub was out of the question), and they've just sold to someone in farnham (same guildford postal district) selling coilovers for an e46.

i was selling the speakers to recoup money on the bilstein b14 coilovers going on next week.

really weird, just sayin......

Edited by ponk

Not weird just a common thing to change parts and have an e46.

You've done well selling those it wasnt hard to find looking at completed listings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainbow-Dream-Line-DL-C6-2-6-5-034-2-Way-Component-Speakers-/274724964475?epid=2037344046&hash=item3ff6e2487b%3Ag%3Aq~8AAOSwnXJgU6pY&nma=true&si=EQraG%2BTp8J29IjtsICGVTfCvYpQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm looking at the speakers as stage 2 in my project once ive gotten the head unit, sub and camera in and have found a Alpine SPG-17CS which

seems to be correct sizing. I also need to figure out mounting once I get the door apart, there seems to be mdf speaker rings available and other people seem to be adding sound deadening and 5mm rivnuts.

page-9

hello,

cheers, very nice speakers, cost me £250 retail, and i threw in fast rings and wave diffusers, so got abit of a bargain, unlike the potential buyer of the coilovers he/she's listing, which are of questionable origin / quality!?

the links you've sent are for a mk3? 2010 plate is a mk2...

Edited by ponk

as to the link, that grey vrs looks absolutely horrible imo, unlike the stereo install which looks absolute class. but still on a mk3...?

Edited by ponk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainbow-Dream-Line-DL-C6-2-6-5-034-2-Way-Component-Speakers-/274724964475?epid=2037344046&hash=item3ff6e2487b%3Ag%3Aq~8AAOSwnXJgU6pY&nma=true&si=EQraG%2BTp8J29IjtsICGVTfCvYpQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

was the very listing, had them up for absolutely ages as skoda octavia mk2 specific, made up all the cables with tyco superseals (even bought the correct crimp tool), gave full details as to tweeter mounting and crossover placement, was admittedly abit of a tome, but no interest whatsoever, remove all the skoda mk2 stuff, remove the connectors and bingo! like i said weird...

Edited by ponk

even selling dynamat'ed speaker mounts, spare door clips (just in case) as part of listing, the whole kit and caboodle, all ready to go, any questions please don't hesitate to ask yadda, yadda, a nice coherent fluffy sale item,  no nothing for months!  weird

Edited by ponk