Cr 170 cega engine inlet manifold removal and refit

Hi there, like the title suggests I am looking at taking my inlet manifold off my cega engined 170 TDI, the reason being is I recently had a swirl valve delete kit fitted from a so called garage recently and when I have got the car back its emiting an oily smokey vapour coming from the left hand side of the intake manifold njust behind the hp fuel pump, my suspitions are that they either hvnt used a new inlet gasket or they hvnt fitted it properly!! In pretty sure I can here air escaping too! Could anybody who has removed and refited the intake on a cega engined 170 tdi offer any advice? In know the fuel rail makes it tricky to get to the inlet bolts, does the fuel rail need to come off? I've read somwere that the car engine needs to be cycled to releave pressure in the fuel system? Any help or links to guides on this is much appreciated, whilst I'm on I'm going to clean egr and Inlet out, what is the best product for this? Once again thanks for any help with this

Here is a video from Youtube but don't know if it's the same as your engine.

VOLKSWAGEN TDI INTAKE MANIFOLD REMOVAL AND CLEANING| HOW TO ?? - YouTube

If you can see/ hear escaping gas at tick over, it will be seriously leaking when on boost.

Regarding the throttle valve, larger crud can be removed with screwdrivers.

Then remaining crud removed with an old toothbrush, rag & brake/ carb cleaner.

Also check inside the valve plastic cover, they sometimes start to fill with oil that has run down from the EGR, this will cause it to eventually fail.

• Thanks 1

I am interested at same thing. One glow plug broke and extract engineer wants the intake manifold off to get it out. I removed fuel pipe and common rail. removed cooling hose and remove all bolts from manifold but still seems to be stuck on. Are there any hidden bolts? And if I can ask if anyone has tightening torque settings for manifold and CR fuel pipes. That video mentioned by PipH has a plastic manifold mine is alloy if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, PipH said:

Here is a video from Youtube but don't know if it's the same as your engine.

VOLKSWAGEN TDI INTAKE MANIFOLD REMOVAL AND CLEANING| HOW TO ?? - YouTube

If you can see/ hear escaping gas at tick over, it will be seriously leaking when on boost.

Regarding the throttle valve, larger crud can be removed with screwdrivers.

Then remaining crud removed with an old toothbrush, rag & brake/ carb cleaner.

Also check inside the valve plastic cover, they sometimes start to fill with oil that has run down from the EGR, this will cause it to eventually fail.

Thanks alot m8, yeah I've seen that video b4, the engine is different to mine with the oil filler being at the opposite side although the intake looks very similar👍🏻 thanks for the advice, going to attempt it on Sunday if weathers ok, when the car is idling I'm sure I can here air escaping, but with the leak appearing to be on the timing cover side of the inlet I wsnt  sure if it was the belt wizzing round causing the sound, it defo sounds like it's escaping though, one had erg mapped out so should be no issue if it does fail👍🏻 when I run my fingers around the left hand side if the intake there's oily residue from were the black plastic manifold bolts down to the ports so suspect it's the gasket leaking or the garage who done swirl delete hasn't fitted new gasket, am I right in sayin a new gasket should be fitted if inlet has been off? Thanks again for help

1 hour ago, BozicR said:

I am interested at same thing. One glow plug broke and extract engineer wants the intake manifold off to get it out. I removed fuel pipe and common rail. removed cooling hose and remove all bolts from manifold but still seems to be stuck on. Are there any hidden bolts? And if I can ask if anyone has tightening torque settings for manifold and CR fuel pipes. That video mentioned by PipH has a plastic manifold mine is alloy if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Hi m8, hope this helps, https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/1000q/a6/intake-manifold-removal.htm I believe the inlets are all pretty similar

• Thanks 1