Auto DSG high cost repair - please help!!!

1 hour ago, Stuart2021 said:

Finally a happy outcome with this one! Thought it would be good to update the thread in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future and for reference. 

Anyway, following the second garage diagnosing the problem as a faulty turbo and requiring a new one, I arranged for a mobile mechanic to come out and quote for removal/refitting of a turbo with a view to sending it off for refurbishment. 

The mobile mechanic did a quick diagnosis check first for me and plugging in the fault reader it did show up as a P0299 turbo issue. Following this he checked the around the air filter and also gave the boost pressure sensor a clean with electrical cleaner spray. 

Good news is that this totally resolved the issue and the car now drives perfect. It turns out that the Boost pressure sensor was dirty which was feeding back to an  error code showing up and being interpreted as a problem with the turbo from the fault code reading. 

To identify where the sensor is it is located towards the back of the engine on the top. Part code on the front of the sensor is 0 281 002 399

He just charged for the labour / call out of £35.00 which I was really pleased with. 

I’ve complained to the original two garages as feel that I’ve had to pay out for a quotation / fault diagnosis which was totally inaccurate. In fairness to the second garage I can see how they came to the conclusion that it was the turbo and when I dropped it off they were very busy that day. The second garage has agreed to refund the quotation cost which is a good outcome and they did say that they should have been clearer that they would have investigated the issue in more depth before fitting a new turbo… 

I’m still waiting to hear back from the first garage but thought give them reasonable time to respond. Thankfully I didn’t go ahead with their suggestion for a replacement clutch/flywheel or take it to Milta to have a look at as it turns out that it was nothing to do with transmission side of things. 

I think I will look at selling the car in the short term as with the age and mileage of the car I’m dreading something expensive actually going wrong!

I'm sure you know whats best in your circumstances but if the car is fine now why sell ? unless you replace it with something so new it is still under  manufactures warranty you are still at risk of paying for repairs . Our Octavia is a 2009 and has done 118k miles  and It is still a very good car.

Great outcome @Stuart2021 What a feeling it must be to have dodged having to do the transmission work the original garage had advised. They really ought to be held accountable for such a poor diagnosis, they're the professionals! Being "a bit busy" shouldn't be an excuse for poor diagnosis either, but the 2nd garage seem to be a bit more reasonable with giving some refund.

I'd say you'd be justified in giving the first place a 1 or 2 star review on Google or Trustpilot, as long as you stay factual on what went wrong. Are they in any Good Garage Scheme?

On 03/06/2021 at 13:35, seriesdriver said:

I'm sure you know whats best in your circumstances but if the car is fine now why sell ? unless you replace it with something so new it is still under  manufactures warranty you are still at risk of paying for repairs . Our Octavia is a 2009 and has done 118k miles  and It is still a very good car.

On 03/06/2021 at 13:35, seriesdriver said:

To be fair it hasn’t given any other problems to date and has sailed through the last MOTs ok. Is more if something like the dsg gearbox or something expensive was to go that I’d be worried about. 

8 hours ago, Pilotguy said:

Great outcome @Stuart2021 What a feeling it must be to have dodged having to do the transmission work the original garage had advised. They really ought to be held accountable for such a poor diagnosis, they're the professionals! Being "a bit busy" shouldn't be an excuse for poor diagnosis either, but the 2nd garage seem to be a bit more reasonable with giving some refund.

I'd say you'd be justified in giving the first place a 1 or 2 star review on Google or Trustpilot, as long as you stay factual on what went wrong. Are they in any Good Garage Scheme?

The second garage in all fairness have been good with their response. They did say that they would have investigated the sensors before going ahead with a new turbo but on the day they weren’t at clear that that would be the case.  The second garage so far have got back to me to say they’re looking into it but I kinda feel like they are fobbing me off. I will give them  reasonable chance before taking it further. I had a look and they are on the good garage scheme.