Timing Chain

I appreciate this has been talked about probably thousands of times and I’ve touched upon it in one of my earlier posts a little. 

I have a 2013 1.2 TSI SE. On checking mine was registered Nov 2013 so a late 2013 build. I understand there was issues with the timing chains and tensioner son earlier models. 

Would my model be one of the updated revised versions without the tensioner or timing chain issues ?

Sorry if this has been done to death, it’s the only thing that I’m concerned about, I love the car and I intend to keep it for as long as ever. 

Very probably its the revised engine. Post the 2012 change, the ignition leads are protected in corrugated trunking (marten protection)  pre 2012 change engines had plain leads (with some extra plain sleeving in places). Not a 100% check since those plain leads often failed (in particular no.3 lead) and so could have been replaced with the revised style.

It should have the larger oil sump capacity 3.9 litres v 3.6, and latest chain design. I ran an Oct 2013 Fabia 1.2tsi (86ps) for 120,000 miles without any chain issues (10k oil changes) before it got written off by a taxi driver in a hurry.

Our other Nov 2011 1.2tsi Octavia was rattling on many cold starts before 40,000 miles /2yr old (18k oil changes initially but later 10k). Dealer/skoda refused several times to acknowledge a problem under warranty, I eventually paid to have it changed at 70,000 miles with the revised designed camchain kit. Now on 150,000 miles without further chain issues.

Even revised chain can cause problems on these engines. So if you hear rattling, you want to have the chain checked as soon as possible. Especially when mechanic decides not to change the sprockets with chain replacement. Took my car only 6000km before chain started rattling again. Apparantly mechanic didn't bother to change the sprockets because "they looked fine" even though the kit comes with new sprockets and manual says "All parts must be replaced" And mine is late 2014 built car.

• 10 months later...

Hi there,

just for reference, does anybody here has a quote for the entire timing chain swap intervention? Last December, I took my 2013 1.2 TSI Rapid to the local VW/Skoda oficial mechanic for a normal checkup. In during it, they told me the timing chain was doing some noise so it should be changed. I have to say, I don't hear anything special, but I am no expert. Still, I asked for a quote on the intervention: around 1200€. This includes battery change and new wiper blades. Still, I found this price way too high. What do you think?

In in end, I decided, for now, not to do anything. I know it may be a risk 😕  Next April I will take the car to another guy to have a second opinion.

On 23/04/2021 at 21:30, xman said:

Our other Nov 2011 1.2tsi Octavia was rattling on many cold starts before 40,000 miles /2yr old (18k oil changes initially but later 10k). Dealer/skoda refused several times to acknowledge a problem under warranty, I eventually paid to have it changed at 70,000 miles with the revised designed camchain kit. Now on 150,000 miles without further chain issues.

As a follow up to my previous post, I spoke too soon. The 2nd upgraded chain rapidly deteriorated at 150k miles ( less than 80,000 miles in service) where the death rattle was heard on virtually every start, hot or cold.

Had it replaced and retained all parts for inspection, the sprockets had wear marks and it seems the inverted tooth chain does not fully engage the full depth of the sprockets either by design or poor QC.

IMG_20220107_144454938_HDR~2.jpg