Dab aerial install

Hi, I'm plotting an install of powered roof mount dab fm aerial to feed a new dab bt enabled head unit in my 2010 Octavia. I'm after guidance on:

- how to remove the trim panels safely so they don't bust and can go back ok after I've fitted the new cables

- how to connect 12v power to the aerial. can this be done from the existing stereo wiring loom?

- what is the pinout on the existing wiring loom, as i may want to install some additional speakers ( only front door speakers currently installed)

Thanks!

Hi there, I've got an estate. I've worked out the pinout for the harness and the head unit works fine, just no dab or fm yet. I've ordered an aerial for better or worse :sadsmile:. it's a Kinetic DRA-6001. And a 5m power extension with fuse. How to connect that and how to get the trim panels off are the remaining tasks...

I've just fitted a genuine dab sharkfin and the wire to my occy. Ity was to a hatch, but estate are fairly similar. Im assuming your 2010 is a facelift.

Not too hard, but I am a mechanic/technician of 18 years inc time at vw/skoda dealers so without trying to come across in the wrong way, I have an idea of what I was doing.

The trim panels, for the most part, just pull off, and are held in by plastic white pegs or metal clips expect to break or bend a few clips. Some you can get away with not having, others are needed.
I found the "c" post trim the most awkward(maybe the "d" post in an estate), and ideally it needs the left hand side of the boot stripping out completely to remove correctly but I managed to feed the wire by only unclipping and dis-mounting slightly.
The "B" post trims, these you need to pull at the sides (next to the door seals) of the bottom end of the upper trim if that makes sense, this unhook it and will make it stick out at the sides then it unclips via 2 white pegs at the very top near the roof. This one can also be awkward to re-fit having to line up the seat belt slider.

You can take power from the radio loom, but it is permanent 12v, This may not be suitable, in which case you may have to use an add a circuit in the fuse box off an ignition live and run that across the back of the dash to the radio area, then power your aerial from there.

The pinout can easily be found by searching "vw/skoda quadlock pinout" on your favorite search engine image search

• Thanks 1

Awesome Daz! Many thanks for the detail and expertise (which was pitched perfectly btw!). I'm anoob to most car things but as I'm not too fussed if it takes a while and a few clips break a long the way I'll be giving it a try at the weekend. Useful to know that it's normal for a few to snap. Cheers!

• Like 1

@daz1986 would you mind sharing which shark fin you went for please?

I need one for one of our cars and don't trust online reviews.. 

Edited by Evil

I used a genuine 6R0 035 501 D, which is the dab, GPS, phone and radio version. I got it from a breaker, its the same unit across all vag group so doesn't matter what car it comes off if the part number is right. 

I'm selling my old 6R0 035 501 C which is phone, GPS(reported dodgy signal) and radio version if anyone reading this fancies an upgrade.

• Thanks 1

Ah I was going to suggest another solution but since you've already bought it you may want to try yours first.

I went for the kit that uses the built in aerial in the rear side window of the estate. On the pillar by that window is an amplifier.

The kit comes with a passive amplifier that then feeds all the signals via the existing aerial wire to the stereo.

The kit then comes with an amplifier/splitter that connects at the back of the stereo and gives you the normal AM/FM and also a DAB output.

Signal has been crystal clear with hardly any dropout.

The kit I bought was the Alpine KAE-DAB1G6.

There's very little information around the internet on it and I had to take a bit of a gamble as couldn't find any solid info of whether it would work or not.

But it did. Kept the original aerial and no need to feed any new wires to the stereo from the rear.

And like I say the reception is crystal clear and it picks up all the DAB+ stations. They're about to add 16 more stations here in Germany too!

• 1 year later...
On 21/05/2021 at 16:08, Phil-E said:

There's very little information around the internet on it and I had to take a bit of a gamble as couldn't find any solid info of whether it would work or not.

But it did. Kept the original aerial and no need to feed any new wires to the stereo from the rear.

And like I say the reception is crystal clear and it picks up all the DAB+ stations. They're about to add 16 more stations here in Germany too!

Hi Phil I also have an estate and want to add dab to the car . So it's the side with the Aerial on is it rear pillar by the boot or the one by the rear door hope that makes sense! 

Hi. Although I've answered your PM I'll also post it here incase it's useful to others.

It's the the pillar between the rear window and the very rear (boot) window.

• Thanks 1