Sat Nav in Scala SEL is awful.

Lanstrom

Went on holiday over the weekend.  The sat nav was working ok but then suddenly lost track of itself and the display said I was driving in the sea.  I tried a reset of the infotainment (holding down the power button  for 10 seconds) but it didn't help.  In the end I had to turn the whole car off and lock/unlock it for it to reset.  The following day I was heading home and all was good until it suddenly froze.  Then it just kept saying recalculating route and in the end after rebooting it (including pulling into to a layby to turn car off/on) I got really annoyed with it all and plugged my phone in and used Android Auto which worked perfectly for the remaining 2 hour drive.  The display on the digital cockpit was still coming up with all sorts of random stuff including saying part of the motorway was a 5MPH limit.  It never did get its bearings again.

It has done this a few times now.  Is it a known issue ?  I could do a map update but I don't think that would fix it as it couldn't even decide where it was.

Cheers.

The Amundsen navigation in my SE-L is probably slightly better than average, in my experience of in-car systems.  I certainly don't find it crashing or losing signal. 

I suspect you may have a faulty unit or might need a full software reinstall by the dealer. Maybe the GPS antenna could also be faulty perhaps. 

As you say, you do still have Android Auto / Apple Car play connectivity. Google Maps is about as good a navigation system as you would ever need, in all fairness.

17 minutes ago, Mdev said:

The Amundsen navigation in my SE-L is probably slightly better than average, in my experience of in-car systems.  I certainly don't find it crashing or losing signal. 

I suspect you may have a faulty unit or might need a full software reinstall by the dealer. Maybe the GPS antenna could also be faulty perhaps. 

As you say, you do still have Android Auto / Apple Car play connectivity. Google Maps is about as good a navigation system as you would ever need, in all fairness.

Thanks for the info.  I will do a factory reset on it to see if that helps but if not then will take it to the dealers.

When I was test driving Scalas, I drove a used SEL that had a similar sat nav issue where it was streets away from where it should be.

I've only used the Sat Nav in my SEL a few times but I've been pleasantly surprised. The points of interest displayed are handy, although I've not been in a congested area to check the live traffic accuracy. Some of the pronunciation is a bit off and it seems to say 'good' periodically but it's got me to my destination and home well enough.

• 5 weeks later...

Not only is the system unreliable but it is downright dangerous.  I programmed a destination in Tamworth that involved driving North on the M1 and then West on the M6.

As I approached the M1/M6 junction, the voice said "keep right on M1 North" which seemed bizarre as I knew that I had to turn left onto the M6.  It said this again until I had passed the first slip road to the M6 (there is a second slip road lane further on) when it suddenly said "turn left onto the M6".  I had already made this turn but if I had been a stranger the system would have wanted me to swerve to the left at the last minute across traffic.

There must be some way of reporting this but Skoda UK seem to be useless as everything is done in the Czech Republic.

The Sat Nav in my Scala is not fit for purpose, It is unreliable clunky and cannot pronounce UK place names correctly.   Much prefer Waze through the iPhone.