1.4 tsi whistle noise when revving

• 2 weeks later...

Check all pipes from the airbox to the turbo and turbo to the inlet manifold, even a small split can cause a very audible whistling.

What is your performance like at the moment? That sounds like the beginning of turbo bearing failing (the squeak sounds like the opening of the blow-off valve). When did you last have an oil change and filter and what oil are you using?

As Pagan has suggested, it is also a good time to check for air leaks. A failure of the seal around the airbox will also make the noise (although it would be more of a woosh noise). Check to see if your air filter is also blocked.

The performance is fine. I'm changing the oil at 10-12 000 intervals. I'm using Castrol LongLife III 5w-30. After recent oil change, there was no difference in the sound.

When the engine is very hot, I can barely hear it.