Veg oil and the PD engine...

Harro!

I run my car, a Land Rover Defender, on used veg oil.

Thing is my wifes Fabia Vrs does quite a few miles and I would like to use veg oil but need to find out some more info.

I filter the oil down to 10 microns which is enough for the Land Rover but what does the PD engine require?

I have heard that the injectors are about 300 snotters apiece and would not want to destroy them! But I have also heard that ANY diesel can be run on a 10% mixture of veg oil.

Do any of you guys run waste veg oil (WVO)?

PD engines can't use Bio Diesel, let alone Veg oil.

Perhaps you should tell that to my PD130 which has been running sweet as a nut on it for the last 4000 miles.

Veg oil will run in a mix, but it's not best as there is a lot of water and glycerin in it. If you process it as Bio diesel it will be fine in a 50% mix which is what i am using. You should have no problem using a 100% tank in the warmer weather but winter would probably require a heat exchanger.

Loads of stuff about it on the web!

PD's can use biodiesel no problems' date=' just need to change the filter every 20k rather than 40k iirc.

A search will answer lots of questions, its been covered loads.[/quote']

As Lummox says, Only the question was Veg Oil which is way different to Biodiesel

Biodiesel is processed vegetable oil with additives

Veg Oil discussed, is your general Supermarket Sunflower/OilseedRape cooking oil

Which works fine 60/40 mix with diesel lumps (providing you declare it and pay the duty of course):rofl:

Hell we can not even run a PD With anything less than 505.01

I didn't know the flippin' fuel filters lasted 40K!

I had been changing mine at 10K.

Is it fair to say that the PD130 engine can run ok on a 20% mix of WVO (waste veg oil) which is filtered down to 10 microns?

I have been registered with HMC&E for about 8 months.

Registering was easy, just fill out their EX103 form...they do tend to drag their heels but just keep calling their place in Gosforth, Newcastle.

Decron, what chems. do you use to convert WVO to Biodiesel?

Where do you buy them?

There is an issue with Di diesels in that the cold engine can not burn the mix of diesel and WVO so the unburnt WVO gets onto the bores and past the seals into the sump.

Here it can Polymerise the sump oil which, in extreme cases, can turn the oil into rubber!

I drop the oil every 6-8K in the Landy so it is not a concern.

Decron' date=' what chems. do you use to convert WVO to Biodiesel?

Where do you buy them?

[/quote']

I buy the Bio Diesel in 200 litre drums for about 85p per litre. I belive it is processed with methanol and sodium hydroxide. If I could get a reliable supply of WVO I would make it.

Have a look at www.bio-power.co.uk

There is an issue with Di diesels in that the cold engine can not burn the mix of diesel and WVO so the unburnt WVO gets onto the bores and past the seals into the sump.

Here it can Polymerise the sump oil which' date=' in extreme cases, can turn the oil into rubber!

[/quote']

That's because most of those older DI engines had the wrong honing in the bores. I had one and it drank more oil than fuel...