Bumper kicking boot door opening question.

DSL

My ILs have just taken delivery of a new SE spec Karoq that has a couple of extras ordered by the person that originally spec’ed it.  One is where they wave their foot underneath the bumper and the boot opens.  Obvious question but does that mean they have leckie closing boot as well as opening?  I’m assuming if so they’d have a button somewhere to press, either on the fob or in the boot somewhere but it’s easier to ask here then tell them where to look.

Thoughts oh boot kickers out there?

Edited by DSL

• DSL changed the title to Bumper kicking boot door opening question.

I have this and in theory you wave your foot under bumper to open boot and same again to close. Very iffy and Often does nothing despite silly looking foot waving!!

Easier to use the centre button on remote press and hold to open when closed and vice versa to close. Alternatively use rubber sensor to touch above number plate to open and button under hatch to close.

There is also a button on the driver door to open or close the hatch.

You don’t move the hatch by hand at all. 
The foot waving option was already on our car bought from the showroom but seems to be a waste of money as works easily without it.

• Like 1

I find it essential to take a step backwards having kicked/waved my foot under the bumper.  When I first had the car I thought the powered tailgate was faulty as more often than not it wouldn't open/close with just a kick or wave, but once I realised that taking a step back as well was the trick it now works almost without fail.

Having said that, if my hands are free I typically use the button(s) on the tailgate.

Especially when opening the tailgate, be very careful if using the key remote or the button on driver's door, that you have checked if there is sufficient room for the door to swing open without knocking into a wall or overhead obstruction.  The door will/should stop but not without damaging the paintwork.

Not done that yet (!) but something I identified a while back as being a potential problem.

Ps: Just saying - you can spec a Karoq with a powered tailgate but you have to additionally spec the virtual pedal if you want to improve your dancing skills!

Edited by Portman
typo

I have been outside playing with it to see how I can get it working.

I assumed you were supposed to kick under the spot where there is an insert in the bumper near to offside edge of hatch. This occasionally worked but go any further to offside and it doesn’t.

However when I tried kicking under the bumper anywhere between the near side edge of the hatch and just past the centre nearly to that insert it works every time.

Will now use this more as convenient if it now works reliably.

As above powered opening is an option on some and standard on others specs. Standard on my edition but the foot operation is an extra even on my top of range car. I think it was over £400 and personally had it not already been fitted I could have managed without it to save the money.

However car with this included was in the showroom when I decided to get a Karoq and we drove it away next day with no wait for it to be built. It also had towbar prep that we don’t need and heated rear seats which may rarely get used as well. However it does have the essential heated windscreen and the very nice digital dash.