Interior Light & Buzzer Issue

Hi All,

I have a 1.9 SDI 2001 Reg Skoda Fabia. It's the classic model with no central locking, no alarm, no glovebox or boot light and no electric windows

A few days ago when getting in the car at night I noticed that the interior light had not come on with the door being opened. I have since read a tonne of threads about interior light issues but none seem the same as my symptoms. My current findings are below:

1. Interior light does not come on when driver or passenger door is opened.

2. "Lights left on" buzzer no longer comes on when driver's door is opened once the key has been removed.

3. Interior light does come on when manually put in to the "always on" position.

4. Interior light does come on when key is removed from ignition after engine on.

5. Interior light comes on and then immediately goes off again when starting the engine.

My first thought would be the driver's door microswitch (i.e the car doesn't know the door has been opened). But that doesn't explain why the passenger door doesn't turn it on either.

Being that the car has no central or electronic locking I don't know if the door open switch is the same as those with?

I've read about the 10amp fuse (fuse4?) but assume that's ok as the light does function (just not when the door is opened). Is that true or is there a separate fuse for the door switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lower the light with plug still attached. Locate the brown/yellow wire at the light plug and run a wire from that to an earth on the car body. Does the light then come on?

22 minutes ago, Wino said:

Couldn't it be both door switches?

I suppose yes it could. Both were working last week though so they would have had to have failed within days of each other. Not impossible I guess...

I didn't get that from your earlier posts, sorry. I faintly remember there being a transistor within the Onboard Supply Unit that grounds that brown/yellow wire in response to the door switches. I guess that may have blown up.  I'm pretty sure I've got a photo of it somewhere, but haven't the energy to look tonight.

Thanks, I'm going to pull the interior light fitting down and try to investigate further. Though I'm guessing that because the light comes on manually and with key out of ignition the ground is ok.

I'm struggling to work out what both doors share which could communally affect both. The buzzer doesn't work either so I'm convinced that the car doesn't know that the doors are open.

2 hours ago, Wino said:

I'm pretty sure I've got a photo of it somewhere, but haven't the energy to look tonight.

This is the one, Pete....

20201116-110443-thumb-jpg-003774fb04fe1a

And the J519 unit where the transistor lives....

2041106357-Fabia-Bluewire-png-5408264182

• Like 1