FIXED - Problems with Michelin Crossclimate + tyres on Octavia VRS TDI184 4x4

varaderoguy

If the tyres are run in, then I'm looking at a fitting issue.

I assume you've checked the wheels are all on tight, and there are no loose wheel nuts?

Somewhat out of the box thinking here, but is it conceivable that too much lubricant was used fitting the tyres and the the wheel is slipping within the tyre?

Running with that idea, when tyre pressure were increased, that might make the tyre grip the rim a little better and explain the improved driving characteristics.

I accept, this theory is unlikely, I'm just tossing it in here.

The symptoms are pretty bizarre, and it's hard to tell in your video exactly what's going on.

Some good news and not so good news:

Firstly, the wheel alignment was well out.

20210707_083031.thumb.jpg.9a6eb32f896daaa0db243f991ddae1a4.jpg

However, the centre wheel alignment wasn't done properly 😤

20210706_164826.jpg

I am happier to report that in terms of driving the car, it is feeling considerably better.  The car does feel more planted and less like me driving on marbles.  I'm also not fighting the steering.  Looks like the front nearside got cloughted by the previous owner.

There was an earlier comment about handling and the electronics.  This car has XDS+ : in essence stability control.  It means that if the car detects you are in an understeer situation, then it will dab a brake caliper to bring you back into alignment.  This will explain the understeer / oversteer situation.

The other piece of good news is that my MPG seems to have recovered.  I'm now getting high 48-52mpg figures again (yah - cheer).

I'll be visiting WES again to get the centre align of the steering wheel sorted next week.

Edited by varaderoguy

• 2 weeks later...

So - I thought I would provide an update.  Finally, after 3 weeks with the Crossclimate+ tyres, they are beginning to bed in and in my mind, beginning to make sense. 

Checked the tyre pressures again today - they were all over the shot - one was down at 34, the others were at 35, 33 , 32 - mental. These tyres on the VRS do not like running at standard pressures - I am running them on 38psi which seems to be a compromise between performance and comfort (and not shaking the car apart).  With the oil overfill issue resolved on the engine (that's where the poor fuel economy came from), I'm back to normal mpg that I had on the Bridgestone's.  Happy days.

The car went back to WES for another go at the steering geometry - this is now all sorted.  I have a car that steers straight.

• Like 1

• varaderoguy changed the title to FIXED - Problems with Michelin Crossclimate + tyres on Octavia VRS TDI184 4x4