A little help with an Octavia purchase please

Hi all, 

I'm looking at purchasing a pre 2009 Octavia 1.9 TDI PD as cheap diesel long runner. Two main questions: 

1) Is this the stronger PD engine? Am I right in my assumption that all pre-2009 1.9 TDI MkII Octavia's are the PD (with the CR coming later)?

2) Cambelt intervals - 80k or 5 years? 

Any other car specific things, barring the usual used car checks, that I should be aware of or looking out for? 

I've got one that I'm going to look at tomorrow. A 2008 TDI Elegance which doesn't appear to have had the cambelt changed. It's on 80k miles, so fairly low for the age (not necessarily a good thing). It's cheap enough to factor in a cambelt change with a little discount from the owner. Would anyone consider this a deal breaker? Seems like a long time without a cambelt change. Otherwise the car looks in pretty good nick (with 4 matching decent tyres, which I like to see!). 

As an aside, I previously inherited a 1.6 TDI Octavia, which I really liked. It was a great runner, however sold it due to failed injectors making it uneconomical to repair. Would happily have another, but my understanding is the 1.9 TDI PD is the stronger and more reliable engine. Also looks more economical, just slightly higher tax. 

Many thanks in advance for your help. 

We had a 1.9TDi in a Fabia Estate and they are generally pretty bullet-proof.  We moved it on at 130k miles but it went on to do nearly 200k with other owners which gives you an idea.  The cambelt change interval was amended and I 'think' it was changed to 60k and 4 years but I'm sure others will confirm.  Either way ours went to 80k without issue.  Having said that the only caveat might be age - at 2008 without a change that belt will be 13 years old so I'd definitely factor in a change, with the water pump as well, ASAP just to be on the safe side.

Thanks both. 

@GreenMachine1.6 Don't think I can find it. Do you know what the subject was? I've read a few similar threads, but of course each situation is a little different. 

@skomaz Thanks. If I do go for it, it would be first job on the list I think. 

I've just enquired about another PD 1.9, Passat this time. 2005 / 85k miles, no record of a cambelt change either! :thumbdown: 

They're both pretty cheap, so not sure it's a total deal breaker, but what's with all these cars not having their cambelts changed... ?!?

Check which engine code you are buying, some were known to grenade and many suffer from soft/worn camshafts.

Just search the web for VW 1.9 with whatever addon to find out more e.g. best, worst, reliability etc.

The fact the cam belt has been changed regularly in the past isnt a deal breaker as long as you have it done, the risk is catastrophic failure rather than future wear and tear or issues. 

I bought the car in the end. 

Turns out the original owner did change the belt after 4 years and only 12k miles, in 2012. So it's still overdue, but not as old as I originally thought. 

Going to book it in for a change ASAP.