Tow bar fitment

Hi guys

Been quoted £540 to fit a tow bar with a dedicated Skoda approved wiring kit to my MK3 Octavia by Towbars Wales, Crickhowell. Guy has a good reputation. Is there anything I need to ask him before letting him do the job, IE, will it be programmed to the car and how will it affect reversing sensors etc. I just don't want it having to go into the dealer after having job done.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a tow bar, but I believe that unless factory fitted there are other components that require changing to suit towing. If its a small trailer you might be OK, but if you are towing a caravan, you will need to check the cars suitability. Either way you will need to get the Car programmed via VCDS to ensure full compatibility.

Edited by FrankNicklin

On 22/07/2021 at 06:32, benterrier said:

Hi guys

Been quoted £540 to fit a tow bar with a dedicated Skoda approved wiring kit to my MK3 Octavia by Towbars Wales, Crickhowell. Guy has a good reputation. Is there anything I need to ask him before letting him do the job, IE, will it be programmed to the car and how will it affect reversing sensors etc. I just don't want it having to go into the dealer after having job done.

Cheers

It's not a bad price really, if you have tow bar preparation on your car from Skoda when new the job should be a bit cheaper, if not and the fitter needs to fit the dedicated wiring through to your fusebox (£100) then the price is good, there will need to be towing related functions enabled with OBDEleven or VCDS so best to ask him if he is doing this as well.

This is going on your 2.0 TDI ?

What type of bar are you going for ? Detachable or fixed ? if the price is for a detachable it's pretty good.

Cheers

On 02/08/2021 at 11:19, FrankNicklin said:

I don't have a tow bar, but I believe that unless factory fitted there are other components that require changing to suit towing. If its a small trailer you might be OK, but if you are towing a caravan, you will need to check the cars suitability. Either way you will need to get the Car programmed via VCDS to ensure full compatibility.

I'm not disagreeing with your advice, but I didn't get additional components installed and didn't have any VCDS programming. Mine tows a 1420kg caravan without issue. 

• Like 1