Air box extra filter

Hi guys new Octavia been a year to take out the air filter and just giving a quick once over make sure it's all clean not a problem absolutely immaculate what is the question I have another plastic filter vented gauze or some kind of restrictive little plate I'm sure somebody said once on a forum it is a snow filter it can be removed but my question is should I just get rid of it so I can get better airflow I've never seen this another cars it is quite easy to remove has anybody else got any ideas or tips at the present moment I have removed it right to hear somebody says put it back chances than me driving the baby in the snow do not take the baby at in the snow no even previous cars have never left the drive when it snows thanks guys

@dijitSorry no idea with what it is on your car as i have not seen one,

but i would put it back as when the car was built they knew it's destination was the UK and not Siberia.

If your car was running fine before then good and i can not imaging your new mod will improve your car fuel efficiency or increase it's performance.

Quite a common mod to remove it along with blocking 5he back of the intake at the grill and unblocking the left hand side. It's unlikely to do anything on an unmapped car but a remap should make use of less restrictive flow.

If car is still in warranty then I'd leave it be. If not then whip it out. Unlikely to harm anything with it missing.

As above its a snow grate.

Common to remove them, over here we get a day or 2 of snow at best (unless you live on high ground)

Blocking off the left hand side of the air ducting into the engine bay can be done with a genuine vw part. . 

5Q0 129 849

Taking the snow grate out and blocking the ducting is known as "pikey intake mod" I believe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vrs'burks said:

As above its a snow grate.

Common to remove them, over here we get a day or 2 of snow at best (unless you live on high ground)

Blocking off the left hand side of the air ducting into the engine bay can be done with a genuine vw part. . 

5Q0 129 849

Taking the snow grate out and blocking the ducting is known as "pikey intake mod" I believe.

Yes I thought I just take it out looks a bit useless only get one day of snow in the UK where I live plus I don't drive in snow leave the car indoors what was the thing about blocking of the ducting known as pinking didn't quite get that but quite happy with your advice thank you very much

16 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Quite a common mod to remove it along with blocking 5he back of the intake at the grill and unblocking the left hand side. It's unlikely to do anything on an unmapped car but a remap should make use of less restrictive flow.

If car is still in warranty then I'd leave it be. If not then whip it out. Unlikely to harm anything with it missing.

Ok go to try the car without it if it causes an issue I'll put it back in very rarely drive in the snow anyway just look like a stupid thing that was in there not really worried about performance but I thought I'd give it a bit of a better air flow I'll give it a couple of months and just have a quick look in their see if I'm getting any moisture should be able to tell by the air filter in marked by damp thank you for the advice

11 hours ago, Diljit said:

Yes I thought I just take it out looks a bit useless only get one day of snow in the UK where I live plus I don't drive in snow leave the car indoors what was the thing about blocking of the ducting known as pinking didn't quite get that but quite happy with your advice thank you very much

If your stood infront of the car. . .looking at the air ducting that goes across the front slam panel,on the left there is an opening that allows air to flow INTO the engine bay aswell as down the ducting.  . You can fit a part that blocks that opening, thus forcing all of the incoming air towards the airbox . 

That's on the tsi cars, don't know if yours is a tdi?

👍

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vrs'burks said:

If your stood infront of the car. . .looking at the air ducting that goes across the front slam panel,on the left there is an opening that allows air to flow INTO the engine bay aswell as down the ducting.  . You can fit a part that blocks that opening, thus forcing all of the incoming air towards the airbox .

I'll have a look at this, I've not noticed it. I like the idea of forcing all the air towards the airbox.