Our Octavia iV now has fully-working software

Jim2015

Our Octy iV is back from our dealer and everything seems to be working correctly. I cannot fault them for doing their best to help me. It’s been in a couple of times, but last Friday the service manager at Derek Slack Motors sent the following e-mail:

I have a new vehicle on site that I have tested and all the save functions etc work correctly so my plan was to swap the Control unit from this vehicle to yours (there is little point ordering a new unit as it may come with the same glitches yours is suffering least this way we have a tried and tested new unit). Then once the technical team come up with a fix we can then either swap for the latest version or update accordingly but at least this way you have a fully functioning vehicle.

Yesterday the control unit was swapped over and coded, test favourites were added, the car was left overnight and they were still there this morning. I collected it and everything works correctly, including the satnav.

The car was collected on May 11th and it has taken 4 months of effort to get to this point. It’s taken a lot of e-mails, stressing how much we like the car but it was spoilt by the software issues.  I did say I would reject the car if it wasn’t fixed and chose a replacement so that we could exchange quickly. I sent copies of the e-mails to my contact in the Executive Office at Skoda UK, the MD (he claims that he reads every e-mail ) and the dealer. Things seemed to progress two weeks ago when I asked VWFS the procedure for rejecting the car. The Skoda UK contact has regularly 'phoned and kept me up to date, so once she made contact with me, I felt more reassured that Skoda UK was taking my complaint seriously.

Incidentally, reference has been made to changing the Infotainment screen, bur as this is just a display, it’s the control unit which works the various functions. Skoda refer to the control unit as a 'MIB' unit, which is the latest development if the multi-media interface (MMI) introduced by Audi in 2002 so after a bit of research I've found this quote:

Modular Infotainment Matrix (MIB=Modularer Infotainment Baukasten in German) is a new architecture intended to solve a challenge that is becoming increasingly urgent – innovations in consumer electronics and rapid gains in computing power are being introduced at speeds that are much faster than the product cycles of automotive manufacturers. The central computer in the modular infotainment platform, housed in the glove box, comprises two main units in a single housing – the Radio Car Control Unit and the MMX (Multi-Media eXtension) board. Along with its working and flash memories, the plug-in module integrates a Tegra processor from Nvidia, which can handle all online, media, voice control, navigation, and telephone functions. The new architecture makes it easy to update the hardware; the fact that the MMX board can be swapped out ensures the system is always up to date.

If any other problems arise, I’ll update this post.

• Like 3

Good for you!  You seem to have had a great dealer to deal with and managed to grab the attention of Skoda GB when all the planets aligned.

Like you, I find the Octavia (in 2.0 TSi vRS form) a joy to drive but have held back making my order owing to all the bad owner experiences of the software/infotainment and also now  because cars are being built with no set delivery time and may even be kept in storage awaiting chips.

I am just hoping that the mid-life revisions that should come for MY23 will sort the software/infotainment out and maybe see a return to more logical HVAC control buttons.

Enjoy your ride and I do hope that it remains issue-free for the rest of your ownership.

On 10/09/2021 at 17:28, Jim2015 said:

Our Octy iV is back from our dealer and everything seems to be working correctly. I cannot fault them for doing their best to help me. It’s been in a couple of times, but last Friday the service manager at Derek Slack Motors sent the following e-mail:

I have a new vehicle on site that I have tested and all the save functions etc work correctly so my plan was to swap the Control unit from this vehicle to yours (there is little point ordering a new unit as it may come with the same glitches yours is suffering least this way we have a tried and tested new unit). Then once the technical team come up with a fix we can then either swap for the latest version or update accordingly but at least this way you have a fully functioning vehicle.

Yesterday the control unit was swapped over and coded, test favourites were added, the car was left overnight and they were still there this morning. I collected it and everything works correctly, including the satnav.

The car was collected on May 11th and it has taken 4 months of effort to get to this point. It’s taken a lot of e-mails, stressing how much we like the car but it was spoilt by the software issues.  I did say I would reject the car if it wasn’t fixed and chose a replacement so that we could exchange quickly. I sent copies of the e-mails to my contact in the Executive Office at Skoda UK, the MD (he claims that he reads every e-mail ) and the dealer. Things seemed to progress two weeks ago when I asked VWFS the procedure for rejecting the car. The Skoda UK contact has regularly 'phoned and kept me up to date, so once she made contact with me, I felt more reassured that Skoda UK was taking my complaint seriously.

Incidentally, reference has been made to changing the Infotainment screen, bur as this is just a display, it’s the control unit which works the various functions. Skoda refer to the control unit as a 'MIB' unit, which is the latest development if the multi-media interface (MMI) introduced by Audi in 2002 so after a bit of research I've found this quote:

Modular Infotainment Matrix (MIB=Modularer Infotainment Baukasten in German) is a new architecture intended to solve a challenge that is becoming increasingly urgent – innovations in consumer electronics and rapid gains in computing power are being introduced at speeds that are much faster than the product cycles of automotive manufacturers. The central computer in the modular infotainment platform, housed in the glove box, comprises two main units in a single housing – the Radio Car Control Unit and the MMX (Multi-Media eXtension) board. Along with its working and flash memories, the plug-in module integrates a Tegra processor from Nvidia, which can handle all online, media, voice control, navigation, and telephone functions. The new architecture makes it easy to update the hardware; the fact that the MMX board can be swapped out ensures the system is always up to date.

Is the Nav still working? 

Hi, did you buy your car from Derek Slack?

I've got a vRS and live in Middlesbrough, but didn't buy it from Slacks.

My software needs some serious attention!!! Not sure what Slacks are like if you haven't bought the car from them.

MikeCT: the satnav works as well as recent destinations. ItalianJob: we bought our car from Derek Slack Motors. It's our 5th Skoda from them and they provide an excellent service.  Minor issues since the new control unit was fitted: voice control kept coming on at random when we chatted so I switched it off but the LH button on the steering wheel still activates it. A couple of error messages regarding key battery low and LH DRL faulty but not true. The main issue is an inability to link Skoda Connect or MySkoda to the PC and iPad. It always freezes up on 'Be patient!!'. My image is there as Prime user, but a padlock is also there so I can't access it. The service manager came today in his own time and spent an hour trying all methods to unlock, without success, so next week I'll be taking it to the garage. The problems are minor and bearable now, so rejection is unlikely.  I'm hoping that an updated control unit and/or software will fix the remaining issues. Otherwise the car is excellent in every way: comfort, performance, economy and looks. After nearly 2500 miles we are averaging 92mpg and I've only refuelled with petrol three times. One aspect which impresses me is the regenerative braking: except for when manouevering or coming to a halt, I don't need to use the brakes. If going downhiill I manually drop a gear or two, which significantly increases the braking.

10 minutes ago, Jim2015 said:

There is another minor glitch. I keep getting the message 'change battery key'. It's only 4 months old - should I change it or ignore the message? Thanks in advance.

If you have two keys I would use it until it dies completely. It might be giving that message when the voltage is low, but it might stay low for months. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since the MIB unit was changed and coded, all the previous 'glitches' have now gone. The only remaining issue is the inability to connect to Skoda Connect. The car was at the dealer yesterday and was in the workshop for 3 1/2 hours. Two software updates were applied, but there is still no connection with Skoda Connect. The car is wonderful otherwise, so now rejection is not going ahead. The dealer has been very helpful and I cannot fault their assistance. As soon as there is another software update, I'll be informed. Meanwhile I'll carry on enjoying the best car I have ever owned!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've just seen you post, but there is no previous reference to what sort of software faults you were having.

I have lots of software faults on a Superb IV 2020, L&K with what is probably the same MIB.

Can you say what software problems you have had fixed please.

I have another thread on this, and same problems have been aired on the forum.

Your experience of getting a new piece of hardware (the MIB chips / computer) to fix software problems does not seem right.

As an experienced computer person, I can relate to problems of compatibility between different versions of software and hardware, however for I suspect in this case the solution has been hidden by swapping BOTH the hardware and software ( new software would have come with the new MIB).

My guess is that the dealer had no idea what really caused the problems, but the way it was fixed is good to know, and I think his way of getting a working solution for you has to be applauded, but I doubt it will be a solution that Skoda will adopt for anyone else.

My car goes in to my dealer tomorrow, for "software updates", and for the download of the maps that my car will not download on it's own, however I doubt that they will actually achieve anything, but I have made contact with the "EXEC", people at Skoda UK, who are "watching" what happens.

I now have the same message from SKODA UK, that the online map updates are "currently not available, and a fix for this does not have a date for being fixed".

All very unhelpful for a car that they claim to be their "FLAGSHIP" product.

Hi Erik99. I also had 3 problems  - not the ones that Jim2015 reported - that were not fixed by software updates but went away after they replaced the Infotainment Control Unit.

You can see the details on my thread "Aussie software owner with software problems".

After the replacement the software level was 1803.

10 minutes ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Hi Erik99. I also had 3 problems  - not the ones that Jim2015 reported - that were not fixed by software updates but went away after they replaced the Infotainment Control Unit.

You can see the details on my thread "Aussie software owner with software problems".

After the replacement the software level was 1803.

thanks

Hi Erik99. I've reported the problems in another thread but in brief the main issue was not being able to save favourites in the SatNav. Other problems included the alarm going off regularly, virtual instrument display changing itself, e-power not selectable, and a few other little glitches. The 'new' control module fixed all these issues, but now I cannot link to Skoda Connect. I was able to use MySkoda before the fix, but now it's not available. I can put up with this as I can programme the aircon and charging times in the car, but it's useful to be able to do this from inside the house. I have a Skoda contact who is their UK Connect person, although he's not technically-competent - he forwards queries to HQ. The dealer swapped the control unit with another one which was working correctly in a newly-delivered car. I don't know whether that left someone with my problems!