Camera

JoFo82

I have just bought a 2017 (67 REG) SKODA SUPERB  1.4 TSI 150 SE L Executive 5dr. 155 miles from where I live.

The handbook says there is a rear view camera located in the grip of the boot lid. But there is no camera, it is merely a wide angle sensor, so the display on the monitor is not a photo, it is just a diagram showing curved lines indicating closeness to an obstruction. This combines with the beeping sound found on all modern cars.

There are no front sensors at all. Both my wife and I are timid about estimating how far the front is from a wall, so we need them. It is difficult to see where sensors could be mounted, other than in the grill. Is it possible to have front sensors fitted which are connected to the infotainment system, i.e. display on the monitor as the rear parking does?

Thanks for that info Chris. I'm disappointed but I still love the car. I am even having trouble adding sensors to the front, even though I will almost certainly not get them connected to the infotainment radio but to new beeper. We must get it because once my wife starts driving she will definitely need them . Thanks again.

On 24/09/2021 at 09:40, ChrisCh said:

It is possible to retrofit, but it will be difficult to add front sensors.

The rear camera can be retrofitted as well, but requires the camera plus wiring all the way through the car to the head unit (i.e. radio). Both will be a pain.

FWIW, Installing a reversing camera, at least on the Octavia 3 of a similar age, is a diy project, but took me 3 hours+, and a bit of contortionism...  see Wayland’s excellent how-to in the Octy 3 forum if you want to explore.