Rear suspension fitting

Maado

hello , 
i am new this forum, i bought Octavia 2021 , it come with 18" alloy wheels, it was too much noisy and not Comfortable at all for me , i fitted a second hand 16" alloy wheels ,and i got to much better results than before . 
now wondering if can fit a multi-link rear suspension (like the one on vRS) to my Octavia which come with dependent suspension   (Torsion bar), i know that would cost much , but is it possible ? 

On 27/09/2021 at 20:14, Maado said:

hello , 
i am new this forum, i bought Octavia 2021 , it come with 18" alloy wheels, it was too much noisy and not Comfortable at all for me , i fitted a second hand 16" alloy wheels ,and i got to much better results than before . 
now wondering if can fit a multi-link rear suspension (like the one on vRS) to my Octavia which come with dependent suspension   (Torsion bar), i know that would cost much , but is it possible ? 

I have 18" wheels on mine and it spoils the car. Why can't car manufacturer's understand our roads are crap?

20 minutes ago, byteme said:

I have 18" wheels on mine and it spoils the car. Why can't car manufacturer's understand our roads are crap?

The low profile brigade would argue that the sidewalls on 225/45R18 tyres are far too high. However, 205/60R16 and 205/55R17 are clearly going to give a more comfortable ride.

For the ultimate ride, maybe use non-standard 195/65R16 on 6J rims (not the standard 6.5J rims that the 205/60R16 uses). A narrower 6J rim would also slightly improve the comfort of the standard 205/60R16 tyre size.

Michelin 195/65R16 92V

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s8631p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_195_65_16_195_65R16_OE_Mercedes

i would very much doubt changing the suspension setup would be possible. Well at least with a cost which would be sane anyway. If you can find someone to change it (and able to get the parts, do the fabrication etc) I would guess it would be waaay more expensive than just trading in your car for a VRS instead.

Compared to other factors the sidewall height has a relatively small impact on handling. Given the trade-off between sidewall height and ride comfort, if ride comfort is at all important most reviewers conclude that a smaller wheel size, with deeper sidewalls, generally strikes a better balance than shallow sidewalls on a larger wheel.

Some people might feel that larger wheels "look better" but there will be a trade-off and it might end up that the ride comfort is spoiled too much for day-to-day use.

Regarding changing the torsion beam for multi-link - yes, this would improve the handling a lot (much more IMHV than changing the sidewall height), but it would be enormously expensive even if buying all the bits from a scrapyard. Furthermore it almost certainly is not possible because I believe that the floorpan of a torsion beam car  does not have the correct (and different) fixing points for the multi-link suspension.

Edited by nickcoll
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nickcoll said:

i believe that the floorpan of a torsion beam car  does not have the correct (and different) fixing points for the multi-link suspension.

i am trying to book appointment with the dealer to find out is it possible technically or not.  

5 hours ago, nickcoll said:

Regarding changing the torsion beam for multi-link - yes, this would improve the handling a lot (much more IMHV than changing the sidewall height), but it would be enormously expensive even if buying all the bits from a scrapyard. Furthermore it almost certainly is not possible because I believe that the floorpan of a torsion beam car  does not have the correct (and different) fixing points for the multi-link suspension.

I doubt 95% of drivers would notice a difference between torsion bar and independent rear suspension. It's crazy to replace it, torsion bar is great, reliable, cheap to maintain and cheap to build.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2021 at 15:58, zetzet said:

I doubt 95% of drivers would notice a difference between torsion bar and independent rear suspension. 

Probably not if they are not "enthusiastic" drivers. It does make a big difference though to the car's behaviour as you go faster round corners, particularly on bumpy surfaces.