Correct oil type

Billywizzo

Hi, 

My 70 plate 1.5 petrol had the check oil level warning come on yesterday, not on today but the oil is at the bottom of the dipstick.

looking at other posts for oil type, 5w30 seems to be what people use, but after a call to the dealer to check, they said 5w40.

Anyone else been told to use that oil.

I only need to add a small amount as it is on a fixed service and was already booked in for the end of October so the oil should be replaced then.

The person at the dealers is wrong. 

5w 40 FS to VW502 00 is not long life oil and is for Fixed Service Intervals.

The recommended oil for your car is the same as it left the factory with. 

VW 508 00 / 509 00  so 0w 20 FS IV.  

If you do choose to use the old spec of VW504 00 / 507 00 so 5w 30 FS III thst is your choice but it is not the recommended oil for your age of engine. 

After the WLTP was introduced, and with a GPF. 

This is from the Mk3 Fabia section but if you do a search   Briskoda VW508 /. 509 you will see the threads and in them posts showing how often clueless staff at dealership tell people the wrong oil for their cars that have been produced since 2018/19.

image.webp

Edited by e-Roottoot

5 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

The person at the dealers is wrong. 

The recommended oil for your car is the same as it left the factory with. 

VW 508 00 / 509 00  so 0w 20 FS IV.  

If you do choose to use the old spec of VW504 00 / 507 00 so 5w 30 FS III thst is your choice but it is not the recommended oil for your age of engine. 

After the WLTP was introduced, and with a GPF. 

But the OP’s car IS on fixed service.

Do not mix the oils. 

If he wants to go 5w 40 FS III when changing Oil & Filter then do so,  but just now it is Long Life oil that is in.

Sad that the oil ever did get to the bottom of the dipstick and checks were not done regularly. 

Maybe the oil was not at capacity from the hand over, but the OP will or should know that.

Or how soon it has dropped and been low. 

972195316_Screenshot2019-07-21at16_37_00 (3).webp

1216976101_Screenshot2021-07-13at07_43_36.webp

Edited by e-Roottoot

41 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

My car is on a fixed service interval, first service booked for end of October

It is almost a year old now and like I said, it was on yesterday and I checked it to find it at the bottom of the dipstick, I just want to ensure I put the correct oil in.

Looking on the Halfords website, it states 5w40 for my registration, just not seen anyone else mention 5w40 oil in any other posts on this site.

Edited by Billywizzo

5w 40 FS can be used for fixed services.

But your car left the factory on Variable / Flexible servicing with Long Life oil.  VW 508 00 / 0w 20 FS IV. It was changed to Fixed at the PDI.

Have you never topped it up since getting it?

Only 5 weeks to an oil change but i would not be putting at least 1 litre of 5w 40 FS into the low quantity of 0w 20 FS IV.

The owners manual tells you in an emergency you can use another spec and you can, 

but this is not an emergency.

At least use 5w 30 FS III if you must, (VW 504 00 / 507 00)

it is long life oil you will mix with long life oil.

Your choice though, do you own the car and is it a keeper or going back in 2 years?  

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/484266-oil-grade-petrol

Not a 1.5TSI but same thing a 2.0TSI.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/450087-best-oil-for-our-kodiaq-mine-is-a-20-tsi-4x4

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*When you have put the oil in and checked where it is with a cold or warm engine be sure to then check the level as you should with the engine / oil at the normal operating temp, so that is on the flat after stopping for a few minutes & when the oil is near 90*oC indicated on the car.*

w960_3927-184 (3).webp

Edited by e-Roottoot

If you read the handbook (not everyone does), it actually says can top up with other oil specs in small quantities.  

@Billywizzo If it is due oil change in few weeks, and you are only adding about 100ml you won’t do any harm adding bit of 5w40, leaving oil level low is lot worse.

You can get top up bottles (500ml or 1 litre) in most fuel company petrol stations, many homeware stores, some DIY stores and even some big supermarkets. Just look for Synthetic oil, 0w20.   On the back it might list Volkswagen group VW508 (for petrol), or VW509 (for diesels)

Edited by SurreyJohn