User Accounts Set Up

I am incandescent. Brand new Kodiaq Sportline (September 2021) and the handbook is useless. Simple example is the set button on seats. How do you use that to set up position 2? No mention.

But this leads me on to a more challenging problem. Tailoring the car's settings to two different users who have their own key, both of which are registered to the car. My wife is the primary user and the main key is linked to her profile which is linked to the Skoda Connect app / account. Both keys registered thanks to dealer but I appear to be the Guest. But I a not. I am a  person and I want my own account or user profile. My picture and my name when I use the second key. How do I set up myself as a user with the second key? I would have thought having my own Skoda Connect account would have been required but  that means entering a VIN number and transferring the car from my wife to me which is self defeating of course! Manual is outdated, vague, generic.

Any help or pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Practicaldriver said:

Simple example is the set button on seats. How do you use that to set up position 2?

As long as that hasn't changed, simply put the seat in the desired position, press and hold the set button for a couple of seconds, then press the '2' button (or whichever memory you wish to set).

Sorry, can't help with setting up your seats, I wasn't rich enough to have that facility. 😉

The owners manual book wasn't very good 3 years ago when I bought my car so it seems that hasn't changed.

However, for future reference (Unless Skoda have changed this too) the online manual is somewhat more comprehensive than the supplied book so have a look at that for answers and it may even tell you about your current question.

I find the art with manuals, as with asking Google, is you have to know where to look and what questions to ask and I personally find the manual is set out in a format that doesn't suit my brain pattern.

I think I have the solution to the seats and thanks Yogi-bear for your help. As with all things, I think I tried that but it did not appear to work. But my main issue is how the different users are set up / interworked. There is a manual on the Skoda Connect website going in as my wife and which is better but even that is confusing regarding accounts. Master User can add users with their own accounts apparently but I cannot have an account unless I pinch the VIN off her! Confused - very much so!

I created my other half's account in-car IIRC. And whilst I agree that the user/profile management system is clunky, slow, prone to errors and failures, and is downright overcomplicated for my needs at least, it did work in the end without stealing anything.

Search for other related threads on this though, since there's no way to hard link a key to a user any more so you might need to adjust your expectations. AFAIK it's all down to which key locked the car and what profile was active at the time, so requires staying on top of that for the key to continue to link to your personal settings (as opposed to choosing your profile and applying settings, including the seat, once in the car).

Thanks Simon. But what is meant by profile active at the time? Is it the settings when the key was used - and impersonal. Horribly confusing so I have asked the dealer and will see if he can help. The ones who were not aware of how you can deactivate the internal alarm when you have dogs inside without first turning on the ignition etc. (Double click lock using key but I fear that useful feature may no longer work given the tendency for Skoda to make "improvements"). 

The User/Profile that is enabled/active when the car is locked after turning off the ignition. This is what I believe to be the case from my testing, and based upon the explanation in the handbook of how the seat memory works. I may be wrong, but you will find threads on here that discuss this, although mostly related to the Personalisation/Third Key option which it sounds like you didn't opt for.

Having spoken to the dealer (they are all very helpful there) the move by Skoda to the app has removed a practical feature and is a massive, retrograde step. Two keys, two users but the second user who jointly owns the damned thing has to remember to adjust his seat, his mirrors, the ambient lighting (not a big deal but you should get my point) and in effect it is as if Skoda do not want the second user to drive the car. Having paid well over £40,000 for the car I have to say that there are better options out there and if anyone from Skoda is reading this and I doubt it, pull your finger out. Cars are shared, personal details likewise shared and if I wish to nip up to Tesco to get some milk I should not have to faff around adjusting seats and mirrors. My old 2019 Kodiaq was much, much better.

I feel cheated.

Have you created a profile for yourself? Even if the key loses it's association with a particular user profile, you can select your profile after getting into the car and the seat position should move if you've adjusted it to your liking with your profile selected. Not ideal admittedly especially if the other profile's seat position makes it awkward to get in. I also find I can wait a good while for the profile option to even appear.

The Personalisation option with MY21 cars is limited, and hence why the view seems to be that the renaming of the option by Skoda to just Third Key is their acceptance that the Personalisation feature (that used to include hard coding a key to a user) is mostly redundant. I also felt a bit cheated, since this seemed a particularly useful feature, and why I chose it. Same with the elimination of the high USB C connection and Traffic Sign Recognition as individual options unless you now choose the overpriced driver aid package which I have no interest in, and frankly from reports on here sounds potentially dangerous.

I’ve got 3 keys and the car knows 3 names, with a prompt at switch on to see if I want to stick with the previous (default) driver or roll over to second or third driver.

I’d be surprised if the standard 2 key arrangement didn’t work the same way for 2.

ps - I have manual seats so never have a problem with my seat.

To all those who replied, thank you.

It is right that I give feedback on what has happened since and can confirm that I am now able to go to the car with one key, unlock the car and the car will adjust the settings for that particular key. I can lock the car, and then go back with the second key, unlock the car with the second key and it will adjust to the settings for the second key / user. I can repeat the process for the first key and so it appears I have 2 keys, each one linked to a particular Named User Profile. Better still, I now have two profiles each with a personalised name and so the car says Welcome Sam or whatever depending upon which profile the key is linked to. Progress but is it reliable? We will see. (By the way, we did not choose a third key option whatever that does. It seems just like another key, no more, no less)

The dealer was helpful and tried to help but we had to find out the hard way......

My wife is the Prime User and has a Connect account and the car is linked to that account by using the VIN number. When I tried to use a computer to set up my own account using my own email address, Connect insisted I entered a VIN number which would in effect be taken from my wife's account. I aborted that attempt but the account must have been created. So I tried to create a User from within the car using my own email address and it too told me to go away as the email address already existed! So I tried to set up a profile using the existing user option using my details and it looked as if something was happening. Until the sync failed message came up. Tried again and system appeared to lock up. However when I went into User Profiles my own name was there next to my wife's name and indeed next to the Guest Profile! Something had happened and so by trial and error, synchronising my account with my settings, things are looking much brighter. Wonder of the software update today helped?

So it looks as if we are getting there but the manuals are lousy and outdated. The online manuals vague and lacking in detail merely hinting at what could be done. It is a mess. But I am happier, the car goes like nothing I have ever driven before, is comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Ideal for our lifestyle which electric cars cannot yet satisfy.

SatNav dodgy though. It would not recognise Southend postcodes albeit the it could find the roads. Am I right in stating that in the past some postcodes were not recognised unless you adjusted the SatNav settings for UK? Cannot find this setting now but I may be mistaken. And the cheapskates only supplied 1 umbrella. Dealer kindly put that right.

57 minutes ago, Practicaldriver said:

And the cheapskates only supplied 1 umbrella. Dealer kindly put that right.

Yeah, 1 brolly as standard now.  And door protectors are part of the family pack instead of standard kit...

Not so simply clever anymore - but still a lot better value than others.

13 hours ago, Practicaldriver said:

... backed by good dealers.

If you're lucky to get one.

I spent quite a while setting up the primary user and adding a second user due to very slow syncing, errors and having to restart. It does appear to be bug prone and performance poor.

If you're willing to tempt fate I'd be interested in your experience of testing what happens if you lock the car with your key with your wife's profile loaded, and then come back 10 minutes later and unlock with your key. What profile is loaded? But I appreciate that if it ain't currently broke you'd be loathed to tinker.

If it ain't broke, leave it alone!

One thing occurs to me and that is when you set up User Profiles, the car is communicating with a server somewhere in the cloud using your mobile phone. If I am sat on the drive my phone is still connected to the WiFi at home but only just. Likewise with the car door closed 4G is not 4G if you know what I mean. Poor WiFi connection means low data rates and possible disconnection and the phone network signal is not so good. I can well imagine communication being unreliable during setup and at best slow.

At the end I was actually disconnecting home WiFi and leaving the car door open - with ear muffs on as you have to have the ignition on!

• 1 month later...

I found this thread as I was looking to see how I simply save my seat setting.  I'm sure I've tried holding set, then pressing the number, but maybe I didn't hold set for long enough?

I'm now interested in this 'different settings for different keys' thing.  If the manual is poor, is there a simple guide somewhere on the net? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Sadly none that I could find. If you go into User Accounts and click on the user you will see when the settings were last synced with that user. If I recall correctly you can also manually synchronise. At the moment it all works and I even added me again when the battery was replaced recently so I think I have the hang of it!