Upgrading the head unit

Hello all. I bought a Skoda Rapid Spaceback on Monday and so far I am really enjoying the car. It's proving to be a great replacement for my fiesta which was written off. 

I have the SE model with the more basic stereo and was wondering if the fancier stereo with satnav is just a straight fit? I've seen a few mentions of the RNS315 being a direct fit.

Have any of you done this change and is there anything I specifically need to look out for ?

Thanks in advance 

Yes, the RNS-315 nav unit is a drop-in replacement for the Swing radio. Just a case of pulling off the facia, undo the bolts holding the Swing in, pull it out, unplug the wiring harness and the aerial, and then resemble everything with the 315 instead of the Swing. You will need to add a GPS antenna. These are usually supplied with the 315 and are a magnetic rectangle receiver. There is a piece of metal frame that sits just below the dashboard that you can stick the GPS antenna on and it works perfectly. Search for my 315 fitting thread for details.

The 315 also produces far better quality audio output and enables more Bluetooth features.

Thank you so much ! 

I have been reading through previous threads and got myself a little confused thinking there was one with Bluetooth and one without and I'd need the one without? (I think this is just me getting mixed up)

Yes, there are two models of the RNS315 - one with an integrated bluetooth module and one without. If your car already has factory fitted bluetooth, make sure you get a 315 without built-in Buletooth. It will then just automatically play nicely with the module already in your car.

How does one tell which is which ? I've seen a few on ebay but I have no idea which version they are. 

Also I have seen various after market plug in gps antennas fairly cheap, are these usable if the unit doesn't come with one ?

Sorry for all the stupid questions !

Ask the seller if the unit has integrated bluetooth or not.

Yes, the cheap aftermarket GPS antennas (which is what people usually bundle with the head units) are absolutely fine. It is what I use in mine and have been for the last 6 years without issue.

Edited by chrisgreen

Thankfully, the RNS315 model number was not reused on the equivalent facelift headunit, a different nav unit was used with a new model number. So as long as the OP does indeed have a 2014 model, should be safe shopping for a 315.

that said @Rikki1qCan you Post a pic of your current centre console, just  so be can be 100% sure what you are starting with.