North London Repair Advice Please

AndyCr15

I'm staying with my mother for a few days and unfortunately she's reversed into my new pride and joy, my 2018 Skoda Superb where the front wing meets the drivers door.  There is a small dent but it's enough to move the alignment and the top of the door actually sticks out slightly.  Obviously, she's going to pay for the repair.  Now I'm torn between having it done by someone very good, but also getting it done as cheap as possible.  I've not really had to do this kind of thing before (I think it's almost 30 years since my last car damage) so I'm looking for any advice?

Does anyone know someone good in North London?  Should I just go to Skoda?  If it matters I think the car colour is quite unique? (Petrol Blue?)

Obviously she is going to pay for the repair........................................... :blink:

That is not something that would be obvious to me.

I would pull the top of the door into alignment while she was not looking, tell her she must have better eyes than me if she can see a small dent that I cannot.

If she can see it and she remarks about it when she does meaning it is causing her anguish, then I would quietly and discreetly have it repaired & say nothing about it, if she cant see it but you can and it bugs you then do exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused tbh. Obviously I don't want my mum stressing about this, but at the same time it's my new car, I'm rather upset it's damaged already. Maybe if I had a secure job I'd just get it fixed myself, but I'm being made redundant next year and ever penny counts at the moment. (This is the reason I changed cars, getting something sensible that I can afford to run)

Surely if the door or more importantly the frame/chassis around the door is bent out of alignment it could be quite a problem? You would really just try and bend the door on its hinges back into alignment and not think anything more of it? I'm not even sure how I would do that?

I've now been able to look at it in better light...

RzPxi0q.jpg

SFnL6oh.jpg

k1wNa1Q.jpg

kk2rPYI.jpg

I was really worried the whole door was misaligned, but I think it's basically that the impact has bent the whole door in a concave way.  I know that sounds bad, but I was really worried the chassis had been bent in some way, so the door didn't align properly.

So far I've been recommended Brian L Shilton in Epping and Rich Body Car in Broxbourne.  I've emailed both for quotes.

46 minutes ago, AndyCr15 said:

I've now been able to look at it in better light...

RzPxi0q.jpg

SFnL6oh.jpg

k1wNa1Q.jpg

kk2rPYI.jpg

I was really worried the whole door was misaligned, but I think it's basically that the impact has bent the whole door in a concave way.  I know that sounds bad, but I was really worried the chassis had been bent in some way, so the door didn't align properly.

So far I've been recommended Brian L Shilton in Epping and Rich Body Car in Broxbourne.  I've emailed both for quotes.

Andy, sorry to hear about your incident and hope its fixed soon and not too expensively. This could happen to any of us so please keep us updated on how you get on.

Thanks, and this is what I keep telling my mum. I don't think either of us slept too well. I feel bad that she feels bad, but these things happen and are fixable, so let's not stress too much about them!

In the meantime open the door, stand on the inside face with your knees braced against the inner face and forcibly pull the top of the frame towards you, right knee against the door frame taking most of the reaction. Leave the glass raised, dont worry about it breaking, it won't.

That way you should be able to get it back flush to prevent any water leaks and wind noise and one less visual reminder for your mother.

You will no doubt be as sceptical as I was when someone told me we were trying to get into a car where the keys were locked inside (pre deadlock days) he yanked the frame aside from outside enough to get his arm in to release the door.

I have seen cars with the window frame hanging out at 30° where a handbag or laptop computer has been stolen and  the glass hadn't broken, applying the same brute force in the opposite direction and you would not even have known it had been done without looking forensically on the inside rear of the door shut which is usually covered with a vinyl trim.

Your door will be replaced anyway so nothing to lose or if you get a prompt estimate ask them to tweak it back.

Thanks, I went at it pretty hard and got it to move in a little closer for my 4 hour drive home, so it helped.

Got one quote from a place in Broxbourne for £450.  I'm also being recommended a place just down the road from me in Barnet, so will check them out tomorrow.

• Like 1

After taking some other advice and watching a YouTube video I have managed to align the door by adjusting the bottom hinge.  It's pretty much perfect now.  Dropping the car in later to have the dents sorted, £450 +VAT, so not too bad I think.

Ooops, I'm embarrased now :blush

I should have thought of that given the point of impact, I'm glad you didn't yank the frame too hard.