Columbus unit powering off an on intermittently

I have a 12 plate Superb estate with a Columbus head unit.

It is powering off and on intermittently accompanied by a thump through the speakers like you get if you power off an amplifier at the wall. It is not in a reboot cycle described in other threads. When it goes off it is completely powerless and the display on the dash does not show the audio components. It happens when the car is stationary and even when I open the door to get in.

I have checked the fuse and that is ok. As yet I haven't removed the unit to see if there is a connection problem.

Does anyone know if there is a relay for the radio?

Are there any threads where people have had the same problem. All the ones I have seen are about  the firmware because the unit is in a reboot cycle not what I am experiencing.

15 minutes ago, chrislo said:

It is powering off and on intermittently accompanied by a thump through the speakers like you get if you power off an amplifier at the wall. It is not in a reboot cycle described in other threads. When it goes off it is completely powerless and the display on the dash does not show the audio components. It happens when the car is stationary and even when I open the door to get in.

I have checked the fuse and that is ok. As yet I haven't removed the unit to see if there is a connection problem.

Are there any threads where people have had the same problem. All the ones I have seen are about  the firmware because the unit is in a reboot cycle not what I am experiencing.

My bolero is doing the same thing some times, without a thump though. The thing just shuts off and starts back up. Usually it happens like 20 seconds after I start driving. A couple times the screen stays on but I get no audio whatsoever, but thats very rare. I haven't gotten around to checking connectors on the amp yet.

Edited by SkeidaFin

2 hours ago, chrislo said:

Your problem is hardware related. I can repair it if it's a type I can get spares for, but there's a possibility I won't be able to if you have DAB?

3 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Your problem is hardware related. I can repair it if it's a type I can get spares for, but there's a possibility I won't be able to if you have DAB?

I know you can't give a firm estimate without looking at it just an educated guess.

Thank you for the offer. It isn't  a DAB unit. What sort of cost would I be looking at and do you know what the shipping is likely to be? I am near Gatwick Airport so I will have to ship it. 

6 hours ago, SkeidaFin said:

My bolero is doing the same thing some times, without a thump though. The thing just shuts off and starts back up. Usually it happens like 20 seconds after I start driving. A couple times the screen stays on but I get no audio whatsoever, but thats very rare. I haven't gotten around to checking connectors on the amp yet.

Yours sounds like the firmware might need an update, search for threads on them rebooting. Mine goes off and I  never know when it will come back on.

9 hours ago, chrislo said:

Thank you for the offer. It isn't  a DAB unit. What sort of cost would I be looking at and do you know what the shipping is likely to be? I am near Gatwick Airport so I will have to ship it. 

Shipping is anywhere from £10 or so with Hermes (3 days and uninsured) to about £26 Royal Mail special delivery.

Repair cost is £110. Plus 15 UPS return shipping.

Hi all.. mine does this too.. its a 2013 Columbus.. what options are there for replacing this unit? Is it worth doing.. it mainly crashes when an android phone tries to bluetooth connect.. but also intermittently..

Also my startup screen /skoda logo is distorted.. would this be a software issue..? If so can you update the firmware easily? I recently had the latest maps installed with latest official skoda map set  (problem existed b4 that), hoped. that would fix it.. but no joy.. sorry so many questions but its a real shame as the rest of the cars been great! : )

Pics here:

IMG_7720.thumb.jpg.2e11510afaacf213c225e271ff32b0e8.jpgIMG_7721.thumb.jpg.0d5c127816e8016de6d368c5024661e6.jpg

Opions for replacement are either Android (with the usual caveat that not everything Android is going to work as well in your car as the Columbus), or possibly an Amundsen 2 unit from a Yeti, which will need fixing to remove Component Protection and enable all features.

Repairing (reloading) the software on your current unit will solve the split screen boot image, but your thuming problem is (again) hardware related. Cost for repair would be close to £200 or so.