2016 Superb Estate 2.0 Tdi 150 owners log. Issues, additions, feedback, questions, information etc...

JohnyBee

Picked the car up September this year. Let the journey begin.

First "improvements" were new interior mats, wind deflectors and full interior valet ( had to be done asap 🤢). When initially coming to look at he car and agree to buy it as usual only noticed some cosmetic damage inside and outside, what didn't bothered me. Car was left to service and replace timing belt at a dealership for a couple weeks. When picking up noticed whining noise around belt area while engine running, noticed start stop system sometimes cutting engine off for some reason especially often when reversing. Right now talking with dealership to leave a car to them.

20211004_111247.jpg

This needs to be scanned.  I suspect this maybe a dead battery showing itself up.  The whining noise could be the belt tensioners on the cambelt going south or they are overly tightened.  Anyway, its back to the dealer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

This needs to be scanned.  I suspect this maybe a dead battery showing itself up.  The whining noise could be the belt tensioners on the cambelt going south or they are overly tightened.  Anyway, its back to the dealer.

If I am not mistaken I remember reading somewhere on this forum (or elsewhere) that start/stop issue might be related to pedal (not sure which clutch or accelerator) sensor?

13 hours ago, JohnyBee said:

If I am not mistaken I remember reading somewhere on this forum (or elsewhere) that start/stop issue might be related to pedal (not sure which clutch or accelerator) sensor?

Sadly - I not heard that one; we really need a scan of the car....See this link for list of Skoda VCDS owners:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interior....

When looking around I realized that this particular car was slightly cheaper for a reason, while reputable family run dealer assured that mechanically car is sound I suspected there must be something else...

After picking up the car noticed foul smell 🤮, which wasn't present during first visit. Unfortunately while picking it up from dealer learned that previous owner was a lease company and whoever drove this car was heavy smoker and 'abusive'😆 owner. Filth was all over ( dealer clearly wasn't bothered to prep car to high standard) in every gap around dash and buttons, under seats, In the vents (cigarette ash) etc... To high expectations on my behalf, considering dealer is a family run business. All I had to do is to point that out.

Let's talk about 🤢 smell.

First ride home was a realization moment, to how bad it was. I didn't wasted any time and went straight to work spending next two days deep cleaning whole interior. Removed door trim panels with switches and door cards, front dash vents, all panels around gear knob. Things I found it's not for faint hearted... 

So disclaimer: Pics contain gross content 😅 (yeah it's puke)

I thought It's an opportunity to find out what method to remove bad smell works best. Smell was imbeded into leather, carpets, headliner fabric.

1) First I valeted the car, making sure no filth left behind, then I used just standard antibacterial spray and wet wipes to clean headliner, seats, dash, carpet, boot lining, but (obviously) it haven't changed a thing.

2) Next I purchased 'Febreze Fabric refresher' (plenty claims online it actually works) from Halfords (2x bottles £5.98). Sprayed headliner and carpets and left until next morning. It reduced the smell slightly initially, but it can't be used on leather seats so job was not done properly. Unfortunately after couple days odor eliminator smell effect went away and smell came back around %90 where it was initially.

3) Mineral Odor removing rocks. Found people do recommend this method and thought will give a go. Bought 800g of rocks from Amazon and placed them under both front seats... Week later no results. Not sure what was wrong, but It was time to move on to last step. Which was most intriguing to say the least.

4) Ozone generator. Purchased one from Amazon for £70. First I watched few videos on youtube and read a manual, to make sure I take proper preparation steps due to ozone being harmful to human health. Next I did set it up in between front seats and turned a dial for 60 minute cycle. Leaving one window slightly open and machine running for 60 minutes and another 60 minutes for the highly.

To my surprise original cigarette smell was all gone completely, but ozone generators leave this quite strong acid/ vinegar like after-smell, which should go away in few days (suggestion would be sufficiently venting it afterwards). Might be that car cleaning products can get rid of it instantly, but I wanted to find out how long it takes to go on it's own.

So 4 days since using ozone generator I can confirm, that it worked 🥳 It got rid original foul smell and apart some vinegar after-smell (very light) car smells like a new. 💪

Next step will be to use fabric refresher, leather cleaner/conditioner and balsam made by Renapur and Wheelers.

So hopefully this will be of any help to other members who encounter such situation for the first time.

20210918_184023.jpg

20210918_184010.jpg

The other thing that will massively improve the car - is the Cabin Air Filter - I would URGE you to get a new one because the old one will be gross.  Its behind the glovebox.  I would also suggest running some HVAC/AC cleaner through the car after you have replaced the filter.  I usually use the AutoGlym Air Conditioning cleaner.

https://www.autoglym.com/air-con-sanitiser

24 minutes ago, JohnyBee said:

Next step will be to use fabric refresher, leather cleaner/conditioner and balsam made by Renapur and Wheelers.

I would also suggest using some Autoglym Interior cleaner as well as Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.  Sorry - I just love Autoglym products as they are genuinely brilliant (although they are expensive).

• Like 1

Just now, varaderoguy said:

The other thing that will massively improve the car - is the Cabin Air Filter - I would URGE you to get a new one because the old one will be gross.  Its behind the glovebox.  I would also suggest running some HVAC/AC cleaner through the car after you have replaced the filter.  I usually use the AutoGlym Air Conditioning cleaner.

https://www.autoglym.com/air-con-sanitiser

Forgot to mention, but changed it first thing with good quality one before cleaning. Old filter was in pretty good condition.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My car for sale right now on Autotrader, but I am unable to post it here on Briskoda. Any advice how to change that?

Did a lot of work and currently it is in very good condition so thought someone from here would be interested