Superb MK2 head unit upgrade from Bolero - what's the simplest solution?

Hi all,
I've got a (new to me) 2014 Superb Mk2 140CR estate with a Bolero headunit.
The CD player doesn't work (seen a lot of threads about this) so I'm up for spending a bit to upgrade. 
I want CD, DAB, Bluetooth, AM/FM and all the steering wheel stuff/OPS/Canbus integration to work etc. 
Nav would be nice but isn't essential. 
Is the cheapest/lowest hassle option to get a used Amundsen+ and get the DAB (and maybe GPS) aerials installed? Guessing the car will still need some VCDS coding?
Alternatively are there any good branded aftermarket units that work without losing functionality?
In the interim, I presume I could swap in a cheap used Bolero just to get the CD functionality back, guessing I'd need the code? 
Thanks and kind regards - sorry, I know this is a well-beaten topic, I've read a ton of posts but am still not sure which way to go. 

Cheers all,
Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul, I can't help much with head unit recommendations, I'm a new Superb owner too, but I'd be interested in your old broken Bolero unit. Is it just the CD player which doesn't work? The skoda I bought came with an aftermarket car play radio but I'm not keen on it and I'd quite like to get an original unit.

Thanks

Hi SuperJack,
My Bolero has the 6 cd changer in the head unit but it just takes discs and can't play them. 
I bought an identical one for (very) cheap yesterday and bought a code from eBay - for now I'm just going to swap it back and assuming it works, leave it as-is. 

If the new one works we could sort something out, I'm sure (sorry admins, not trying to break any rules here!). 
Just be aware that the Bolero doesn't have Bluetooth built in, it uses a separate module under the seat so if you need that and you don't have the module, you'll have to get that too. 

Also if your car had a Swing instead of a Bolero from the factory, you might need to get it coded on VCDS - and you'll need a code for my stereo, which I don't have as it's factory....
FWIW Bolero works OK but it's nothing to get excited about IMO. I just don't want to lose the steering controls, Maxidot integration and the reverse OPS display!

I've been looking at stereo options and it is a minefield if you want to keep the functionality.

I think I'm gonna just get a little Pure or Alpine DAB and have it fitted as discreetly as possible and wire up to the aux.

Cheers all,

Paul

Yeah that would suit me perfectly. I can't remember the last time I played a CD and I have the Bluetooth module under the driver's seat. I agree with you on the steering wheel controls and maxidot integration, none of that is connected to the head unit on mine. I think mine came with columbus originally but I know someone who can do the VCDS stuff if needed and I'll buy a code off ebay as you did.

Let me know how the installation goes and send me a message about offloading the old one.

Many thanks,

Jack

The only Superb bolero on ebay is £450 which is ridiculous considering the octavia one (which is basically the same with a different faceplate) is £40. I guess most people opted for the Columbus when they bought them new making the bolero quite rare.

Yeah, it's totally disproportionate. I'm starting to get to the "f it/totally aftermarket" solution at this point.
Mad with myself because the car was cheap and I checked EVERYTHING except the ruddy CD player! 
Have some budget in reserve for cambelt etc but didn't plan on having to drop so much cash on a radio upgrade. 

• 1 month later...

I've recently bought a 2012 Superb with a Bolero head unit expecting it to have Bluetooth as I was wanting to have hands free telephone. There doesn't appear to be a 3C8035730A Bluetooth unit under the seat? and the only wiring I can see goes into the seat. 

Is it possible to buy a 2nd hand Bluetooth unit and install it under the seat not that I can see a spare connector or wiring? and will I have to also install a microphone as I can't see one?  I don't really want to spend £100 on a Bluetooth unit I can't connect to the car!

Or would it just be easier to change the head unit with integrated Bluetooth and microphone? I've been told that this unit will probably fit my Superb and as it has an auxiliary  socket I can connect it to my phone and use Google Maps. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203182795555

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone. Not totally on the original topic, BUT I managed to remove the CD module from the Octavia Bolero and fit it into my Superb one successfully today.

Only tools used were a trim tool, a little torx multitool, a magnet and a flat blade screwdriver to prise the lid off. Whole thing took about 30 mins or so, going very slow/careful.  

Broadly, the steps are:
- remove inlaid trim
- remove 4 torx T20 screws
- release the outer fascia
- carefully pull the unit out
- disconnect passenger airbag warning light
- disconnect fakra aerial connector
 - disconnect quadlock connector and remove the unit

On the unit:
- undo the small torx screw on the top near the back middle of the unit
- remove the lid

- undo four torx screws on the sides (two per side) of the unit holding the CD module in place inside

- lift the CD module out carefully - there's a ribbon cable on the underside attached to a connector on the PCB in the base, pull it up vertically gently and it'll release

I had the module from the "wrong" replacement Bolero I had bought. It went back in, everything perfect - just reverse the steps.

And now I have a car with a working CD player! Result.

Hopefully this helps some other owners in the same spot.

Best wishes and (belated) happy new year all.

• Like 1