Question on Apply CarPlay and telephone control - Is this correct?

Hi all.  New on the Superb III although I have been around on the SII forum of five years.

Just bought a new (to me) Superb III, it is a 2018 Sportline model which has Apple CarPlay using the wired interface.

I really like using this as it allows me to use the sat' nav' from my phone (much better than the car's version) in a nice full screen mode however I notice that the phone functionality via the steering wheel control and max-e-dot display is very much reduced.  Basically all I can do is answer a call.  I can't see any of the call lists or operate anything else from steering wheel buttons.  If I simply connect the phone via bluetooth I get much more funcitonality.

Is it correct that I should lose this capability because I use the (more advanced) CarPlay connection?

It's because you can't connect via bluetooth to the phone while using CarPlay..... it's a software license issue.

I very rarely use Carplay, prefer to use my phone as a wifi hotpsot. I can then use the integrated satnav (with very good traffic data)

11 hours ago, patrolman said:

You have to press on the phone button in the car play to get phone book and call lists 

Thanks for that.

So it sounds like it's working as designed but just not designed very well?

Seems crazy that I get better functionality with the "simple" BT connectivity than I do with the more advanced CarPlay.

1 hour ago, Q102 said:

It's because you can't connect via bluetooth to the phone while using CarPlay..... it's a software license issue.

I very rarely use Carplay, prefer to use my phone as a wifi hotpsot. I can then use the integrated satnav (with very good traffic data)

I must admit I'm a little confused with that, perhaps you could give me a little more information.

If you set your phone as a hotspot for the sat nav are you able to display the phone screen content on the infotainment screen (the main benefit I see from Car Play) or are you just using the sat nav on the phone screen?

2 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

Thanks for that.

So it sounds like it's working as designed but just not designed very well?

Seems crazy that I get better functionality with the "simple" BT connectivity than I do with the more advanced CarPlay.

I’m not a big fan of car play because I’ve  two phones and it’s easy to swop between phones on the move with the B T my wife loves it in her golf though

3 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

I must admit I'm a little confused with that, perhaps you could give me a little more information.

If you set your phone as a hotspot for the sat nav are you able to display the phone screen content on the infotainment screen (the main benefit I see from Car Play) or are you just using the sat nav on the phone screen?

The phone acts as a hotspot for the live services- traffic, weather, parking etc

Still use bluetooth for the phone.

4 hours ago, Q102 said:

The phone acts as a hotspot for the live services- traffic, weather, parking etc

Still use bluetooth for the phone.

Thanks, I think I understand.

You are using the services on the in-built unit with the phone acting as a data link giving you access to the Internet?

14 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

Thanks, I think I understand.

You are using the services on the in-built unit with the phone acting as a data link giving you access to the Internet?

correct