Looking for a Yeti - tips

boylers11

My '54 plate Fabia VRS is now on 175k and getting rather tired and whilst is has been service very regularly and running like a dream, the bodywork has succumbed to years of use in all weathers. I love it's simplicity, speed/power and size for nipping in small street parking spaces for work.

I've been looking at Yetis and would really appreciate some advice and opinions please. Here's a few questions....

-Which engine is best? My instinct would be the bigger the better, so the 2.0tdi at 110bhp? Is it possible to get near Fabia VRS 'grunt' with a remap? I appreciate it's a bigger and heavier car, but I like oomph for overtaking. 

-Which spec? I'm not bothered about leather, but cruise control would be a necessity

-Are they all permanent 4x4, or switchable?

-Real life mpg? I'm currently 55-57 in the Fabia.

-Any common faults/trouble areas? Leaky door seals? Bushes? Engine noises etc? I'm a very competent DIYer having recently completed a full project car rebuild down to the bare shell, but appreciate different cars have different weaknesses.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

E9827352-BF25-40FD-870B-2DEBBD75A7FB.jpeg

69D21314-C27F-4FE4-9359-580491594634.jpeg

You are contemplating exactly the route I took, 108hp to allegedly 180hp and I have no regrets, for me with the eco taxes on first registration in France it also saved a huge whack of money.

None of it was planned, I naively thought that a 108 or 110hp (dependant on what fairy tale they were telling at the time of sale) CR TDi would have been as nippy as my 110hp MK1 Octavia, it was appalling by comparison and frankly dangerous regarding "oomph for overtaking" to use your words, the extra gear made it feel nippy at lower speeds and after being caught out several times I had to decide to no longer overtake anything not displaying a flashing girophare or voitures sans permis.

Post remap it is more than I could have dreamed of, I don't know or care what BHP its actually making (I never believe the figures) because it has the punch when I need it and the same or better economy.

Things to look out for? - Zinc corrosion on the door bottoms, dual mass flywheel, clutch hydraulics entraining air. - thats probably not a word in English (drawing in)

1 hour ago, boylers11 said:

Is there any feedback on trim/spec levels please?

Mine is the basic poverty spec and I did miss a few things from my Octavia Elegances, it was mainly storage compartments which were cheaply resolved, I modified a MK1 Octavia boot variofloor as I had done to my MK2 Octavia, on the Yeti you remove one of the 3 sections & DIY the side supports.

A good quality centre armrest storage unit came from Ali-Express, not as rigid as a Jumbo box but very good for the price, the upper console spectacle holder was a genuine VAG part again from Ali-Express as was a rigid battery box and cover, Yetis dont have these but the Octavia one fits.

I hated the open storage bins on the dashtop and in front of the gear lever, they look a mess if you actually keep anything in them, a higher spec vehicle dashtop spectacle box from Ebay will go straight if you cut the hole after taking a deep breath, I modified an Octavia ashtray assembly to give me a perfect fitting hinged lid over the storage hole in front of the gear lever.

I created underseat storage lockers by modifying the clear plastic lidded storage boxes sold by the homeware shops, these sit above and clip onto the lower seat cross rails are invisible and move with all the seat adjustments without obstructing them.

I also fitted a Chinese head unit with Satnav, a returned unit for only £80 and a reversing camera.

Photos of all of these mods are on the forum but somehow I have deleted my followed content so can't give a link.

I will at some time enable cruise control, this will require a new columb stalk and higher revision clockspring.

With the above additions that cost very little I miss nothing from a higher spec vehicle, mine had the factory bluetooth module but I dont use a phone when driving and it works with the standard stereo that I have replaced, it could easily be retrofitted if your vehicle lacked it.

The trim parts are very rugged on the Yeti, the only difference could be the seat materials. I would not say no to leather seats if they were on offer.

21 hours ago, softscoop said:

What is your budget?

The Yeti was available with the 2.0 TDI CR 170 engine. I have the same engine in my Superb and it doesn't hang about.

I'd originally said 7-10k, but the ones from 12+ are tempting me!!

19 hours ago, J.R. said:

Mine is the basic poverty spec and I did miss a few things from my Octavia Elegances, it was mainly storage compartments which were cheaply resolved, I modified a MK1 Octavia boot variofloor as I had done to my MK2 Octavia, on the Yeti you remove one of the 3 sections & DIY the side supports.

A good quality centre armrest storage unit came from Ali-Express, not as rigid as a Jumbo box but very good for the price, the upper console spectacle holder was a genuine VAG part again from Ali-Express as was a rigid battery box and cover, Yetis dont have these but the Octavia one fits.

I hated the open storage bins on the dashtop and in front of the gear lever, they look a mess if you actually keep anything in them, a higher spec vehicle dashtop spectacle box from Ebay will go straight if you cut the hole after taking a deep breath, I modified an Octavia ashtray assembly to give me a perfect fitting hinged lid over the storage hole in front of the gear lever.

I created underseat storage lockers by modifying the clear plastic lidded storage boxes sold by the homeware shops, these sit above and clip onto the lower seat cross rails are invisible and move with all the seat adjustments without obstructing them.

I also fitted a Chinese head unit with Satnav, a returned unit for only £80 and a reversing camera.

Photos of all of these mods are on the forum but somehow I have deleted my followed content so can't give a link.

I will at some time enable cruise control, this will require a new columb stalk and higher revision clockspring.

With the above additions that cost very little I miss nothing from a higher spec vehicle, mine had the factory bluetooth module but I dont use a phone when driving and it works with the standard stereo that I have replaced, it could easily be retrofitted if your vehicle lacked it.

The trim parts are very rugged on the Yeti, the only difference could be the seat materials. I would not say no to leather seats if they were on offer.

Fantastic, thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail! :)

• Like 1