Driver's door won't unlock!

izg

Hi there - my remote locking went a while back, so have been using the key in the door for about 6 months. Sometimes the central locking would work, sometimes only the driver's door would unlock. Now, however, I turn the key to unlock and nothing happens. After much turning back and forth and pulling at the handle repeatedly (and hearing noises especially when I 'lock' the car), the door does finally unlock.

Does this sound like I need a new actuator? The door opens fine from both sides when unlocked.

Cheers

Hi, as said above check the bellows, but there can also be issues with corrosion on the drivers door operating module connection.

This thread should give you more info -

You dont mention your location in the global sense in your profile, so I assume for now that you are based in the UK with all the associated water and damp issues that we deal with over here.

Hope it helps.

Just checked inside the bellows, and there is indeed a split wire - it's brown and yellow. Any advice on re-connecting the wire together? There's not much slack. Am happy soldering, but have also used skotchlocks before - I'm guessing these would be a bad idea in this location, with all the movement?

Yes, I'm in the UK, near the sea as well. In the winter I often find a light dusting of salt over the car of a morning.

Really depends how close to the pillar connector that the wire is damaged to suggest a course of action.

Do you have any pictures at all.

I tend to repair wiring in high traffic areas like that with high flex silicon wire that I solder in, but as I said, it depends on the area that the loom has been damaged.

Scotchloks are not really feasable as they are too big really.