Creaking noise on full lock and slow speed

59p

So had a broken coil spring and top mount replaced on the drivers side recently, about a week or so later when turning the wheel full lock on the drivers side, I hear a creaking noise. Now this only happens when setting off very slowly or even when stationary dependent on the surface but more so when the car is moving. 

Question I have, is this linked to the coil spring or top mount or something else? 

23 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

Kinda normal on Octavia MK3 TDI's.  It either requires a new strut-top or lubrication of the struct-top. 

But that's the thing, the strut-top was replaced when I changed the coil spring. What lubrication should I try on it? 

No lubrication, the strut top is a rubber to metal bonded bush, in any case the rotational movement of the strut is taken care of by a seperate bearing which is a seperate item to the strut top mounting, this also does not require lubrication.

They may have made a mistake in thinking that the strut top contains the bearing, look at your invoice, you should have been charged for top mounts, bearings and bump stop rubbers.

I just bought some top mounts from Ebay that were advertised as top mounts and bearings, on arrival they were the mounts only, no bearings.

Any advice to lubricate suspension be it from the main dealers, garages or a forum is wrong, vehicles for a minimum of 50 years now have had rubber to metal bonded suspension bushes that should under no circumstances be greased or oiled.

I know the main stealers slap grease all over the wishbone console bushes and there is even a technical bulletin telling them to do so but it is a bodge to hide the real problem that under certain conditions the articulation of a saggy bush will allow metal to metal contact between the wishbone and the subframe.

Edited by J.R.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

No lubrication, the strut top is a rubber to metal bonded bush, in any case the rotational movement of the strut is taken care of by a seperate bearing which is a seperate item to the strut top mounting, this also does not require lubrication.

They may have made a mistake in thinking that the strut top contains the bearing, look at your invoice, you should have been charged for top mounts, bearings and bump stop rubbers.

I just bought some top mounts from Ebay that were advertised as top mounts and bearings, on arrival they were the mounts only, no bearings.

Any advice to lubricate suspension be it from the main dealers, garages or a forum is wrong, vehicles for a minimum of 50 years now have had rubber to metal bonded suspension bushes that should under no circumstances be greased or oiled.

I know the main stealers slap grease all over the wishbone console bushes and there is even a technical bulletin telling them to do so but it is a bodge to hide the real problem that under certain conditions the articulation of a saggy bush will allow metal to metal contact between the wishbone and the subframe.

Not sure about the bearings, it was independent that carried out the work and the parts ordered were a coil sprint and suspension top mount from a local GSF store. When I took it back to them, he said the top mount looked fine and could potentially be a CV boot or hub bearing, advised to carry on driving until the sound got louder. 

They may even have assembled it without the bearing, it would have stuck to the old mount and the underside of a new mount without bearing has the same material, colour and ribbed pattern.

Take it to another mechanic to diagnose the noise and explain your suspicion.

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They may even have assembled it without the bearing, it would have stuck to the old mount and the underside of a new mount without bearing has the same material, colour and ribbed pattern.

Take it to another mechanic to diagnose the noise and explain your suspicion.

Okay but what if the bearing was also replaced, is there anything else that could be causing the creaking? 

Get someone to look at it, we cannot even hear it!

If you have the part number for the strut to mount fitted check to see if it is bundled with a bearing, otherwise look up underneath with a torch and compare to the other side, get someone to turn the steering from lock to lock while you are looking at the strut, you will probably see the coil spring wind up and snatch or jerk when the creaking noise happens.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Get someone to look at it, we cannot even hear it!

If you have the part number for the strut to mount fitted check to see if it is bundled with a bearing, otherwise look up underneath with a torch and compare to the other side, get someone to turn the steering from lock to lock while you are looking at the strut, you will probably see the coil spring wind up and snatch or jerk when the creaking noise happens.

I'll try getting someone else to look at it but will also try attaching a vid on here if possible. If not, will upload to YouTube and share the link.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 03/01/2022 at 15:48, 59p said:

Still not had chance to get this looked at, does the video help at all with identifying where that sound is coming from? 

Well did you find out what was wrong in the end?

I'm in a similar situation.

2 hours ago, smokinmonkey said:

Well did you find out what was wrong in the end?

I'm in a similar situation.

The noise went away itself over time. Not sure how or why.