Projector headlamps weak.

Hi 

I’ve got a 2008 Fabia 2 with the projector headlamps, the ones with the single bulb for dip & main beams.

they are absolutely rubbish!

I’ve tried better bulbs, still rubbish.

Doing some research I’ve found some YouTube videos explaining that the aluminium reflector deteriorates causing poor light output. (He’s got a SAAB)

he started to take you through dismantling the headlamps to change the lamp units but by the time he’d had them in his kitchen oven for 20 mins & bent them all out of shape pulling the fronts off I switched off ! 

SO ….does anyone know any other option than £20+++ for a new pair of headlamps? 

does anyone offer refurbished units? Is there a fancy LED bulb that wouldn’t be legal in a good lamp or anything? 

This loop has been travelled before, it is possible to get the reflector recoated, however in practice it is quicker and easier to just buy new headlamp units.

Projectors are crap anyway, just fit a pair of halogens instead.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

This loop has been travelled before, it is possible to get the reflector recoated, however in practice it is quicker and easier to just buy new headlamp units.

Projectors are crap anyway, just fit a pair of halogens instead.

Yes, I was suspecting that would be the case. 
Can you get the same shape unit that just has halogen lamps in? 

just to clear things up, the projectors ARE halogen lamps as well, it's purely how the light source is focused.

"normal" headlamps should work fine on your car. Out of interest what "better" bulbs did you try ?

Also, I found the biggest difference came from setting the headlamps correctly on a beam setter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

just to clear things up, the projectors ARE halogen lamps as well, it's purely how the light source is focused.

"normal" headlamps should work fine on your car. Out of interest what "better" bulbs did you try ?

Also, I found the biggest difference came from setting the headlamps correctly on a beam setter.

Thanks UrbanPanzer, yes I was aware , just using projector & halogen as shorthand.
I’m running osram night breakers but the light has slowly got worse. They are set up correctly on my friends MOT bay equipment.

thanks for the advice on normal lamps working ok. I think I’ll get a pair. 

Only just spotted this but I think the non projector lights have different wiring looms for high and low, as the projectors just move a shield. You may find you need to swap the looms, too.

The high beam feed may need to be swapped at the headlight plug to feed the additional bulb as opposed to the shutter, would make sense for manufacture if the pin outs were the same..............But I'll check wiring........

Look VERY similar, not sure if the relay feed plays a part in the high beam through the onboard supply unit, I don't think it does as it just looks like its tapped off the main loom, but could be wrong.

Projector Bi-halogen is first piccy.

EDIT EDIT EDIT ----------- Wiring diagrams were for my car which is a 2013 as it autoloads,I  have re-attached 2008 diagrams..............Bi-Halogen (projector) shows L/H headlamp.

Unfortunately VW could not afford colour in the early wiring diagrams :thinking:

My apologies

Standard headlamp2008.jpg

2008_projector.jpg

Edited by UrbanPanzer

58 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

They're different fuses, you'll need to swap the 5A for a 15A. 

Well spotted, on the later vehicles like mine its still a 15amp fuse / feed............wonder if its a typo... ?? strange to have a 5 amp fuse on a 1.5mm² wire.

Op needs to check fusebox

I mounted xenon bulbs in my reflector head lights! Yes I know it´s not "legal" but I need to see where I´m driving.... So when the annual check up (MOT) is getting closer I will switch back to halogen. It´s a PIA to do the first time but when all screws has been dismounted and greased it not too bad.

The light pattern is very good and the light is brighter and stronger. No car has flashed their head lights to me so apparently not too much glare!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

finally got time to install the H4 headlamps into the car.

the problem I have is I have dip beam but when I operate the main beam or flash nothing happens.

the lights stay on dip & the dip beam warning stays on. The main beam warning never illuminates.

I suppose that as above the wiring diagrams are too different. 

so, where next? As I can still use the car (although it won’t pass MOT, so shouldn’t be on the road) I’m going to look into Changing the projector units in my original lights. They are about 1/2 the price of new units, I’ll remove the projector before ordering so I know I’ve ordered the right one etc.

It's a relatively simple issue to fix, obviously the projector unit uses a solenoid to move it from dipped to full beam position and it is this solenoid which is actuated by the relay in the diagram.

All you need to do is measure whether that solenoid is normally energised when the lights are on, the diagram looks like it is.

Is the dip solenoid relay still in the old headlight unit with the solenoid itself or is it separate?

Hi.

thanks for the reply. 
The relay isn’t in the headlight.

I’ve just been over to the car & the main problem I’ve identified is the wire that lights the bulb in the HDI light is the dip feed to the H4 That’s why I’m getting permanent dip beam.

I can’t get voltage out of the wire to the shutter so I’m a little confused about that.

I think I’m giving the idea up & investigating changing the HDI units in my existing light units 

48 minutes ago, Gareth111278 said:

Hi.

thanks for the reply. 
The relay isn’t in the headlight.

I’ve just been over to the car & the main problem I’ve identified is the wire that lights the bulb in the HDI light is the dip feed to the H4 That’s why I’m getting permanent dip beam.

I can’t get voltage out of the wire to the shutter so I’m a little confused about that.

I think I’m giving the idea up & investigating changing the HDI units in my existing light units 

No voltage present because it's the earth that's switched to kill the power to the shutter solenoid, therefore you could use another relay to switch a separate live feed to the main beam bulb.

37 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

No voltage present because it's the earth that's switched to kill the power to the shutter solenoid, therefore you could use another relay to switch a separate live feed to the main beam bulb.

Yes, there’s all kinds of options but I’m not good enough to do the electrics / electronics. I’m looking at other options. I can just throw the original lights back in & eat more carrots 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just another small update.

I got thinking about this & something someone said about changing a fuse rang a bell.

I checked & found the main beam fuse blown (5A) changed for a 15amp & I now have flash & main beam.

HOWEVER I’m almost certain that on main I’ve actually got both dip AND main beam filaments of the bulb lit!

Obviously they won’t last long like that 😂

6 minutes ago, Gareth111278 said:

Just another small update.

I got thinking about this & something someone said about changing a fuse rang a bell.

I checked & found the main beam fuse blown (5A) changed for a 15amp & I now have flash & main beam.

HOWEVER I’m almost certain that on main I’ve actually got both dip AND main beam filaments of the bulb lit!

Obviously they won’t last long like that 😂

That was me as well BTW.

Having both filaments lit is normal, it's why main beam is twice as bright!

6 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

That was me as well BTW.

Having both filaments lit is normal, it's why main beam is twice as bright!

Ah! Thank you for the original tip , I should have remembered it before!!

I always assumed it was that one filament was shrouded & the other wasn’t that gave a H4 dip & main.

I think I’ll Chuck a couple of spare bulbs in the car just incase & see what happens!

2 minutes ago, Gareth111278 said:

Ah! Thank you for the original tip , I should have remembered it before!!

I always assumed it was that one filament was shrouded & the other wasn’t that gave a H4 dip & main.

I think I’ll Chuck a couple of spare bulbs in the car just incase & see what happens!

The shrouding is correct, however dipped beam does not go off when main beam comes on, you can clearly see this on cars which use separate bulbs for dip and main.

20 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

The shrouding is correct, however dipped beam does not go off when main beam comes on, you can clearly see this on cars which use separate bulbs for dip and main.

Oh yeah I know with separate lights they stay on. I just aways assumed H4s were wired to switch over.

im sure it’s just something I’ve assumed & never needed to question 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finally put this one to bed.

I’ve fitted a pair of LED bulbs to reduce heat & current draw.

the headlamps are brilliant now.

my friend is a MOT tester he’s had a look at the beam pattern (on the beam checker) & can’t find anything wrong. 

• Like 1