Turbo actuator/vanes

Hi all, finding a issue with my fault code p00af. Actuator holds pressure ok, but on car does not spring back up very easily when moving up and down. Now disconncted actuator from vanes and vanes moves freely. Actuator moves up but still does not spring back down. Are these actuators supposed to spring back down when moving it up or is it moving slowly down how its supposed to be?

Thanks 

Mine (TDi) is not spring loaded & is electric only. You cannot tell if the vanes move freely as the actuator only allows the vanes to move. The vanes stick on the locating pins due to carbon build up. If your getting over/under boost read my fix from last week

Hi thanks for reply, I am getting P00AF Turbo actuator stuck. I'm unsure if mine is spring loaded or electric, any way to check. I have the turbo here as I have removed it, I moved the vanes by hand again this morning and it seems moving down 50percent moves freely then the other 50 it feels gritty I'm thinking it could be this

As you've got the turbo off, have a look at this video about the turbo mechanism.

The control ring for the variable vanes is probably sticking due to a build-up of carbon in the mechanism.

It's not much of a job now you have it removed to inspect & clean the mechanism.

• Thanks 1

Lots of kits on the market but Mr Muscle is as good as anything & at £5 is better than most. Did you drop the subframe ect ect to get it out??? 

Perfect yes I have mr muscle already, will clean out hot side with that then use something else for cold side. Yeah I had a mechanic do it and remove it, was quite a headache alot had to come out but its finally done