Low Battery and no 2 cylinder mode

Hi

My skoda superb 2020 1.5 tsi manual has recently stopped going into 2 cylinder mode. As i do very short journeys (2 miles per day) i suspect this has been caused by a low battery.

Can a low battery prevent 2 cylinder mode? ( it says in the car "vehicle power comsumption high").

Can anyone recommend a good solar battery maintainer which would be compatible with the car ( possibly charging through the 12v socket?)

Also out of interest. Is there any need to take a 1.5 tsi a longer journey every once in a while?

Also. I started using shell 99 octane v-power about 2 months ago after previously using 97 octane, could this have caused any change?

Advice welcome.

ACT 2 cylinder mode would not be affected by a low battery, that would only affect stop/start which will be inhibited.

ACT requires that power demand is less than 25% of the max available at the rpm you are running at for more than a few seconds. Also rpm must be in the range 1500 - 4000 rpm for it to kick in. It will also be inhibited temporarily if your driving pattern indicates it would be enabling/disabling too often, i.e. round town with frequent acceleration and deceleration.

When the engine is cold, its unlikely to activate very often simply due to power demand with cold oils in the engine and transmission. That will be your issue, I'm sure, judging from my own experience in my car.

If you want to test it, drive very gently and steadily for a sustained period on the level or on a downward stretch and make sure your selected gear is such that revs are greater than say 2000 rpm when its easier to meet the 25% criteria rather than 1500 rrp when max power available is lower

Of course make sure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure, too easy to firget tyres lose pressure over time and in winter and low pressure means more power is required to maintain speed.

If you have selectable driving modes, try ECO mode when maybe its more likely to be activated often. On the other hand, Sport mode is likely to use 2 cylinder mode less

Edited by xman