Pulling cylinder liners

Iris_Heart

So the time has come to pull the cylinder liners from my 120 to shim them and get them all level to keep oil and coolant from meeting up.

I have a junker engine from a 83 onwards model that I practiced the job on, I managed to disassemble pretty much everything else except the liners as they just won't budge for the life of me.

I remember reading somewhere that they'd be held in place by a screw somewhere, but I doubt these are held on by anything else except rust and spite towards my goals.

Is there any fancy trick to pulling them or something I am missing?

I've tried whacking their underside with a frozen willow log and a rubber mallet, no joy aside for turning the log into tinder.

Haynes manual is no use as it doesn't list removing the liners anywhere, only putting them back into place with "thumb pressure" which leads me to believe they just kinda are there and held in place by the cylinder head.

@Iris_Heart - This youtube channel may be of help. I'm not dead sure what language the presenter is speaking (he's a Luxembourger so there's plenty of choice) but he's rebuilding the same basic engine. If this is any help, at least with web searches, you have dry liners, and the copper rings on the bases are usually known as "wills rings" in English.

@KenONeillPardon me if I'm wrong, but are these not wet liners due to being "wet" with coolant on the outside? From what I've learned, dry lines are straight contact to block with no water passage around them, the water coursing through the block instead.

I managed to wrestle one of the liners out with WD40, blowtorch, sledge and a cold chisel, obviously the liners were scored which doesn't matter on the junker engine, but this is not an option on the better engine I am supposed to try and overhaul.

@Thefeliciahacker I can only hope it's that easy on the better engine. Fitting one of those liner pullers seems to be an ordeal too due to how tight and flush the liners sit in the crank case, not much for the puller to grab on to.

My uncle who worked on these things back in the day told me to just pour diesel around the liners and leave it for the night to get them moving if they're stuck, diesel seems to be his go to solution for all problems in the world. Might try that too.

Edited by Iris_Heart

22 minutes ago, Iris_Heart said:

My uncle who worked on these things back in the day told me to just pour diesel around the liners and leave it for the night to get them moving if they're stuck

No promises, but this is a known solution to seized engine components.

Aight enough faffing around, made this monstrosity.

Bottom plate is 74mm, 2 pieces of wood on the head under the "ears" and spin to win, liner comes out without a hitch.

I'm going to cut the disk into a pill shape so it doesn't interfere with the block and it's going to be golden

20220204_174522.jpg

• Love it! 2
  • Haha 1