Life's too short - New Campervan

Phil-E

No I can't bloody wait. Lol.

I've started buying stuff already. At least it doesn't all have to bought at once then.

And just have to wrap my head round the process of registering it too. It's a little complicated registering a brand new vehicle in Germany it seems than the UK. I need to get temporary plates on it to pick it up and then physically take it to the vehicle registrations office for them to cross-check the VIN etc.

So I've started with the essentials - WiFi and entertainment! Lol

Rather than buying an expensive router with 4g/5g built in etc I've gone and bought a cheap older FritzBox. FritzBox's are the go-to router here in Germany. They're made by a German company and have loads of features built in.

The one I got for example (for just 15€ off eBay) has 2 USB ports and supports USB modems and even USB tethering from an Android phone. We both have unlimited data plans so can just plug the phone in to charge and share the internet.

This also then allows me to use it as a media sever with a 1TB HDD I had lying around and be able to stream films and music etc either in the bedroom or sitting area.

For the dining area I've decided to go with a small projector from Philips that also have a built in battery. The projector screen will then likely go at the front in front of the two chairs swivelled round.

Also got the coffee side of things sorted and ordered a Tassimo since they were on offer for 27€.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So... we're still waiting 😪

We rang about 4 weeks ago and they confirmed the vehicle was in their factory in Italy and they'd definitely started building but couldn't give any more information.

My box of things I've been buying has been slowly increasing.

I've got some Philips LED headlamp bulbs to fit. They are road legal here for vehicles on an approved / tested list which the Fiat Ducato / Citroen Jumper / Peugeot Boxer is on. Just have to print out a certificate and carry it with the vehicle.

Also bought a Bluetooth / GSM control box for the Truma heating and hot water. So I can control it from my phone. Also two ultrasound gas sensors to tell me how much gas is in the bottles. These connect to the Truma control box so I can check the levels via Bluetooth or remotely via GSM (uses SMS messages back and forth so no data connection required).

Why is everything these days taking so long to build!? I'm sure I'm in the same boat with people waiting for cars etc.

• 5 months later...

So. The wait continues.

They've now been able to give us a delivery "date" of "May".

So basically it should be arriving in may some time all being well.

I've been talking to a few people that have ordered them with the Fiat Ducato and an automatic gearbox and they've already been waiting 2 years. So I'm very glad we didn't go for the automatic (as much as we would have loved that). When you consider how much diesel, wine and beer you can get for the 7,500€ they wanted for it...

• 2 months later...

And finally we've collected her!

Had a bit of back and forth with the dealer. They kept promising delivery dates that came and went.

Eventually they offered us an alternative vehicle. I assume an order that someone cancelled. It was still a brand new and unregistered vehicle (6km on the clock) and was the same spec as we ordered apart from gas oven and halogen instead of LED daytime running lights.

So we jumped at it and took it. Saved a few hundred anyway as we obviously didnt't have to pay for the missing options.

Another nice suprise was we got a model year 2023. So it's got nicer upholstry and a couple of other little changes. The van itself was produced in February so very new.

On the way home from picking it up we stopped at a local lake with a dam (Möhnesee- the dam busters dam in case anyone is interested) in order to try everything out etc.

First impressions are very positive. She also drives very nice and has plenty of oomph for getting up hills and joining the motorway etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the first big trip is also booked. We're driving to the UK via Dunkirk/Dover in August and driving up to York/Bridlington area and back down again.

Pleasently surpised by the cost of the ferry. Return for 2 adults and a dog €286. And a 16:00 and 12:00 crossing so no silly early hours or middle of the night crossings.

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 4