'door open' indicator woes - what next?

Hi all,

My 2009 Fab has the common issue of the driver door not telling the car it's open, leading to keys locked inside on one occasion! I assumed this would be the door lock module (having briefly checked the wiring to see no obvious damage into the A post) but after fitting a new one, it's no different.

Can anyone point me down the next path to try please? Or if it's best taking it to an auto electrician to diagnose? It's barely worth bothering if it costs me money but it would be nice to have it working properly..

Open door, stick keys in ignition (handy place to keep them..) go around car to fold the mirror back out, come back to the driver's side...'CLICK' it relocks after 30 seconds or so if it doesn't detect a door having opened. I remedy this now by not letting go of the key and or opening the passenger side door, which tells the car it's open

luckily I was close to home and have a spare

• Thanks 1

If you unplug the 28 way connector at the driver's side A-pillar, and stick a continuity tester between pins 4 (brown/yellow wire) and pin 16 (brown wire) of the door loom connector, with door open you should see short-circuit between these, trace both wires in towards their destinations within the door if you don't see this. 

The brown/yellow wire should go to both pin 8 of the 8 way connector at the lock module, and pin 2 of the 16-way connector at the window motor module. 

The brown wire should go to both pin 7 at the lock module and pin 7 of the 16-way at the window motor. 

Close scrutiny of the a-pillar wiring with knowledge of wire colours and origins within the 28-way will probably suffice, at a guess.

• Like 1