Turbo gone, engine dead? 2012 Rapid 1.6 TDi 118k

Hello folks,

Long time lurker, rare poster. As the title suggests I think it's the end for my Rapid.

Reason for this is I was cruising along the motorway on Saturday evening, no more than 70mph when a lot of smoke came from the rear and the engine started rapidly revving up. I dipped the clutch and free wheeled onto the hard shoulder and quickly turned the engine off as smoke was also coming from the bonnet.

RAC come out and reckoned turbo has gone and asked me to start it up. It didn't turn over first time but did with a crunch on the 2nd and gave off a hell of a rattling from the engine. That was quickly turned off.

After towing it home and parking up on the street it hasn't been touched. The dilemma as ever is financial. I have to choose to investigate it getting properly looked at finding out its not economical or cut my losses and look for a cheap runner to get about.

Based on the description I've gave does anyone have any insights or advice if I were to pursue getting it checked/repaired?

Cheers in advance for any replies.

Sounds like the oil seal(s) on the turbo and the engine combusting its lubricating oil.

The damage is probably restricted to a turbo replacement and clean up of the intake tract, that it started is a good sign despite the horrible noise, that will simply be combustion knock.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sounds like the oil seal(s) on the turbo and the engine combusting its lubricating oil.

The damage is probably restricted to a turbo replacement and clean up of the intake tract, that it started is a good sign despite the horrible noise, that will simply be combustion knock.

8 hours ago, KenONeill said:

As above. I've no videos, but I've seen similar happen twice before.

Thanks for your replies guys! That's reassuring to know it's more likely fixable than getting rid of the car.

Well after asking around a couple of people I was recommended a company whose bread n butter are this type of thing.

However when describing the symptoms and age of the car the guy said it would be more than the car is worth and between £3k-£4k, maybe even more if they got it in and found other internal issues.

Bit gobsmaked to hear but I will continue looking at other sources and avenues before I need to give up on an otherwise great Rapid.

• 10 months later...

Apologies in raising this post many months later but I did get back on the road after replacing the injectors which went well for most part. However now the turbo has finally let out a weird sound of screeches and whines before ceasing to function.

The car still starts and is stuck ion limp mode so I tried to identify the turbo on the engine and price replacement. However using the numbers on the  turbo it only opens a world of many variants none of which I can tell are similar or exact match for mine.

Numbers on the turbo are

03L 253 056 D V500
0J 710045508 00276
BV39F-0114

Is there a credible resource online to cross refer to the correct Borg-Warner (KKS Hungaryy) part number?

Another confusing thing is the mechanic looking at it told me the engine code was CAYT which I can find no trace of online, only CAYC for my year and engine. He said the only one he could find was brand new for £1272 + VAt before any cost of fitting it!

IMG-20230223-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230223-WA0003.jpg