Early Octavia Starter Motor Advice.

Dear Skoda brains! 

My Octavia's starter motor has stopped working! My investigations have so far taught me several things, including:

1/ The starter motor is in an almost inaccessible place.

2/ The Skoda workshop manual says you need 2 special spanners in order to remove it.

3/ I don't have these spanners!

4/ I'm not as agile or as young as I once was.....

However, all is not lost..... I initially though the problem was merely a flat battery-it wasn't-so I dug further..... The headlights (such as they are; 35 watt bulbs are not that bright....) weren't going dim when the starter wire was pulled, so I deduced no current was reaching the starter. Closer examination revealed the split pin, on which the arm that swings the live feed pivots, had fallen out of the motor, and couldn't be found on the garage floor. At this point I decided to remove the starter motor, and managed to remove the 17mm nut from the off-side of the starter, using a socket and a very long extension, but the one sandwiched between the starter and the engine block has yet to surrender. 

Has anyone ever tackled this job is there any advice out there as to how I ought to proceed?   

5 hours ago, Andyroo! said:

the one sandwiched between the starter and the engine block has yet to surrender.

Have you tried feeding it PlusGas, because it's probably been there for 60 years or so?

• Like 1

A good penetrating/releasing fluid  and patience.  As said PlusGas or GT85, not WD-40 Multi-use, spray (or drip) on generously then leave as long as possible, overnight at least.  Then first try slightly tightening the fixing to break the rust/crud seal and slowly loosen.  If difficult spray (drip) more fluid and tighten a little and loosening more, repeat as required.

If you can't loosen the fixing at all, use more patience by starting the process again - soak, leave as long as possible to soak in, and try again.

The only time I've failed is when my stock of patience was too low, lesson learnt I don't start unless the stock of patience is full.

I prefer GT85 to PlusGas now as GT85 has more uses and PlusGas is made by a different company now and to me doesn't seem as effective.

Having put that GT85 is no longer made by a British company but from an invasive American corporation, called WD-40 Company. - https://gt85.co.uk/

Edited by nta16
spelling
  • Like 1