The end of an era!

Good morning everyone

After just over seven and a half years of Rapid Spaceback ownership, last weekend I traded her in for something new (I bought a brand new MG ZS 1.0 Exclusive Auto in Red). 

For those of you who haven’t been here since the early days, my Spaceback was one of the very first to arrive in the UK. An ex-demonstrator, it came to me nine months after it was first registered. I made many genuine accessory improvements to it (Curry Hooks, Umbrella Holders under Front Seats, Variable Boot Floor, Sill Trims, Factory Sat Nav retrofit to name a few) and even managed to work out how to get to grips with the temperamental MDI Audio Interface.

But, after 52,000+ of motoring it was time for a change. I wanted something more comfortable with a much higher riding position and more creature comforts. Alas, Skoda could not supply anything used or new that fitted the bill and was affordable, so after a 6 month wait, I opted for a brand new MG ZS (Petrol, not EV). This will be my last petrol car, whatever comes next will be either all-electric or at least a hybrid. 

I will be listing a range of mint condition accessories for sale in the next few days, including the variable bolt floor, so keep an eye out and have yourself a bargain!

To conclude, here’s my final report on the Spaceback after all those years of ownership:

Good Points

* Very reliable - never cost me a penny mechanically other than scheduled servicing. One electrical fault (see below) and never failed to start or broke down. 

* Pretty well put together - while it eventually developed some dashboard rattles and had the Spaceback signature clanky front axle, the interior and exterior always felt solid and well put together.

* Plenty of power - the 1.2 TSI is a great little engine. Just as happy bombing along the motorway as it was creeping around town, and never struggled to keep pace with fast moving motorway traffic. 

* Economical - I averaged 42MPG over the time I had the car and on a few occasions (including my last ever fill-up) broke 50MPG. The trick is to cruise at 67MPH, 2,100RPM in 6th Gear.

* Big boot - can’t fault the storage space.

* Rear Legroom - definitely the party trick of the Spaceback is the insane amount of rear legroom in the car. Even more than the long wheelbase Rover 75 I once had.

Easy upgrades - Very easy to replace the Swing radio with the Amundsen sat nav, the essential upgrade you can do on this car.

* Most people thought it was an Audi A3 until they saw the badge :)

Bad Points

* The seats (OMG the Spaceback is still the most uncomfortable car I’ve ever owned, and I once had a Peugeot 106, itself a contender for most uncomfortable place for a car driver, but the Spaceback is worse). I know the seats were improved for the facelift model, and boy was that needed. The uncomfortable seats were my main motivation for making a change. 
* Rattles - after a couple of years it started to develop a few trim rattles, all dashboard related.

The clanking suspension and front axle. A known trait of the car, the clanking noises when you go over a bump are disconcerting (even though everything is nailed together properly down there).

* Tailgate wiring - the loom to the tailgate snapped after 6 years of opening and closing due to being too tight. Could not open the boot as a result. It broke about 18 months ago and cost nearly £500 to fix (Skoda main dealer). The only major repair expense the car suffered though.

* Armrest - broke the catch three times and had to  replace the hinges soft top once. Easy and cheap to do given this entire part is lifted from an old Polo.

* Headlights - terrible, even after upgrading the bulbs they don’t put out enough light.

Thanks

Chris

70FBFD22-936A-479F-8714-26BAA668FB39.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

Arrived here about the same time as your Spaceback. Still got our second one,( and a Dacia.)

Good luck with the MG.

Cheers. 

I’ll still be on the forum for the foreseeable as we still have the two Fabias in the family, no sign of either of those being replaced any time soon. 

Good luck in the future. I have always found your wisdom very rewarding. I had one Rapid and two Toledos ( the last Toledo is now in my daughters possession and she loves it). I do not think that we shall see a bargain like the Rapid in the car world again.

• Like 2

I was only saying yesterday my Toledo (1.2TSi) is the best car I've owned. For purchase price and reliability just can't be beaten.

Into 8 years of ownership, costs apart from the usual servicing (I now do DIY services) one set of tyres, a new battery and 1 set of wiper blades. With 30k on the clock it's had an easy life and I would find it difficult to replace it, it's just used as a daily runaround as you can tell from the mileage.

Having said that I did look very closely at changing around 3 years ago and the MG ZS was high up there as a must go see. I did actually at our local dealer, I went home and felt hmm! I'm hanging on a little longer to the Toledo. Then surprisely I could have picked up the MG for between £12-£15k model dependent but the trade in on the Toledo's were absolute pants but I knew that.

Went and bought myself a newer MX-5 instead😁 still have the Toledo of course.

Keep us posted on how the MG plays out, still like the looks of the newer ones, maybe will take another look one day.🤔

• 3 weeks later...

A little update, it didn't take too long for the car to find a new home. It was bought at auction by a dealer called LDSM Cars in Sydenham, South East London. Assuming they got the sticker price, they sold it for about £2,000 more than I traded it in for, which is fair enough. But the car is taxed again and on the road. Maybe its new owner will find their way here eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1